Metroid Prime Remastered |đźź Physical version available Feb. 22nd

5p22LPh.png

R1JszLE.png Digital: Available Now Physical: Feb. 22nd | https://metroid.nintendo.com/

4YoPJC3.png

R1JszLE.png Suit up for an iconic adventure 2WXtYkz.png

Intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran receives a distress signal from a wrecked frigate in orbit around planet Tallon IV. Upon investigation, the frigate reveals itself to be a Space Pirate research vessel home to terrifying genetic experiments using the mysterious Phazon substance. There, Samus encounters her nemesis, Meta Ridley, whom she pursues to the surface of Tallon IV. It’s up to her alone to explore the planet’s interconnected regions, investigate its dark secrets, and end the intergalactic threat posed by Phazon.

Experience this critically acclaimed first-person adventure like never before with remastered visuals, audio, controls, and more

*About from Nintendo.com

aCnqfDz.png

hMDPTil.png

Edited by alienboyva

I don’t know if the Prime Remaster warrants its own individual thread since it’s not a new game per se, so I’ll just continue treating this as the general Metroid thread until MP4 where one of the threads for it gets bumped or a new one gets made.

Anywho, I only had enough time to get to Tallon Overworld earlier, so will post more of my impressions later, but they’ve been pretty good so far. Didn’t think the Parasite Queen would look that much better detailed, but she is. You can even see the models in one of the sub-menus outside of your game file after you’ve scanned the creature I believe.

Also, gonna try this whenever I get to that part of Phendrana for an early artifact. I don’t know if any of the glitch crazy sequence breaks are intact (believe they got patched out in later versions which in some cases was for the better), but knowledge alone can help you get some Chozo artifacts early, along with skill like in this clip.

One other thing, remembering what @Tyranogre pointed out earlier that the Zero Laser in Brawl may have been an early version of Dread’s Hyper Beam, well… I was reminded earlier that the Meta Ridley fight in the first Prime was originally intended to be a rail shooter section where Samus fires at him while on top of her ship as he does his flying around at the Artifact Temple scene, though I assume you still fight him on the ground after his wings burn out. Anyway, Meta Ridley in Brawl’s Subspace you fight on top of a ship, which may have been using that cancelled concept.

Maybe it’s just me, but the ice beam doesn’t take as long to get a fully charged shot with now in the remastered version, so am able to kill with it faster now it feels like. The regular shots are still slow though. Basically the ice beam is a shotgun, while the MP1 plasma beam is an AK47.

I think the lighting improvements are what I’m liking most about the remaster overall aesthetically, from the different lights of the morph ball which are brighter now, to the new details of wave/ice/plasma beam… And of course the improved enemy model textures as pointed out earlier. The gameplay side has been a plus too between the dual stick controls and much faster loading times, with next to no delay in going from room to room.

There might be some other things I’m forgetting to mention at the moment, but I guess any remaining impressions will wait till I round up the remaining items and artifacts and finish first playthrough. I kinda no life’d it because of some other things I knew I was going to be busy doing soon in between, but will take my time a lot more on hyper mode or whatever the highest difficulty is called, and whatever other playthroughs.

Oh, by the way…

Guessing it’s mainly for the OG tank controls, but the option is still nice, especially with the occasional drifting joycon I be dealing with.

Update: Just tried to test it, but the game’s not responding to my Gamecube controller even after changing the control scheme to “classic”, and the GC adapter’s still working perfectly far as using the controller to navigate the Switch main menu or play Smash with.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Glad I found this way of getting that particular missile expansion, because the normal way of reaching it by slowly going along that morph ball railing without falling off was not working for me with my left joycon being as twitchy as it is with certain movement.

By the way, the game itself doesn’t tell you, but like on the Wii Trilogy version, you can do a spring ball jump; by pressing X in this case, which takes away the need to do a perfectly timed double bomb jump to reach certain items. Prime’s double bomb jump always felt like it needed to be incredibly precise compared to doing so in the 2D games, so glad to see the spring jump function for morph ball is still intact here.

Now to reunite with my old friend at the Artifact Temple and finish up my first playthrough, and maybe start on the hardest difficulty one with that item stuff out of the way… There was three other missile expansions I initially missed because I forgot where to find them (one in Tallon Overworld and two in Chozo Ruins). Part of me felt embarrassed that I had to look up what I was missing with how much I usually remember a game I played as much as Metroid Prime, but when it’s literally been ages since I’ve gone through it again, guess my memory was still pretty thorough, considering.

Edit: This is interesting…

Edited by Ridley Prime

Finished my hard mode playthrough a couple days or so ago, but was too busy to make a followup post until now.

I'm glad I came across this clip earlier, because I completely forgot about that strategy with Thardus. It basically eliminates the need to use thermal visor to target his weak spots, which on hard mode is pretty crucial so you can focus more on the rocks he summons and slowly throws at you.

Great as the remaster is, there's still some little issues I have with Prime 1 overall. For instance, one problem I still have with the Phazon Mines is the couple rooms where you have to use the grapple beam and Glider creature to get across to the other side, reaching a certain giant mushroom platform near the end, and if you fall, you land on Phazon, dealing plenty damage. It just seems inconsistent for me when the grapple icon appears as I'm waiting for the Glider to circle around, and sometimes it disappears when I jump before pressing the grapple button. The Glider and grapple thing's pretty wonky in general. It's often not in range of where I need to go, since it moves so fast.

Didn't comment on it before, but something about Samus's face in the remastered ending cutscene looked kinda off compared to the original... Her face still looked good in the remastered concept art though, which I might post later along with various new creature artwork that stood out to me, but will wait to hear others' opinions or experiences with the game first after how much I posted on it here previously.

Just pre-ordered my physical copy from Walmart.

I vaguely remember certain logbook entries being different between the original American Gamecube release and the PAL version, which were later used for the Wii Trilogy edition worldwide.

Any sign of the logbook entries being changed again? More importantly, does Science Team still have vapor for brains?

There’s no longer that Pirate Log where the pirates somehow interact with the Metroid Prime creature and it absorbs a lot of their weapons and armor. It contradicts things since it would imply they got past where Metroid Prime was sealed away by the Chozo, but yet, we have that exoskeleton form in the end which it had to have gotten by absorbing material from a bunch of the beam troopers. Tells me Metroid never took its story quite as seriously as the fans did.

For the logbook, only thing I missed first playthrough was missile ammo 5 (research). Forgot there was three different types of missile ammo you can pick up from destroyed crates or defeated enemies (replenishes ammo by either 3, 5, or 10) since it wasn't like that in the OG version of the game.

For anyone wondering what's going on... I felt MPR needed it's own thread, Instead of just using the Metroid Dread thread to discuss it. All of the posts on MPR have been moved over to this thread (Had to hijack one of my recent posts in another thread to keep the OP :v). With that said, I do feel like we could use a General Metroid Discussion Thread, with games like Metroid II on the NSO GB/GBC app, Metroid Fusion in the pipeline for the NSO GBA app, and MP4 yet to be fully revealed. If anyone wants to create that thread with links to full Metroid game threads (Dread, MPR, and MP4 when fully revealed), go right ahead. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rumors are surfacing again that the full Trilogy will make it to Switch...

Of course this pops up after MPR is released. Remember the original rumor was that the full Trilogy collection would be remastered for Switch? I can see nintendo doing this depending on how well MPR sells and how long until MP4 is stated to release. Though, I could just see them releasing MP and MP2:E Remastered like how JPN only got the first two games separately on Wii and not the Trilogy collection. With MP3:C they would have to pull a LoZ:SS HD, and rework some of motion controls to work with sticks/buttons as an option, and I'm not sure if NIntendo would want to go that far.

Speaking of the Trilogy, seeing MPR at $40 really makes me realize just how much of a deal the Trilogy was on Wii, with getting all 3 Prime games with widescreen support, cleaned-up textures, and Wii Remote pointer controls (the best controls, IMO) for only $10 more than MPR. I know it wasn't a full remaster, but still.

Edited by alienboyva

I don’t usually pay attention to them anymore, but one rumor I heard was that Prime 2 and 3 would not get the visual update like 1 did, which if true will be disappointing, even though they would still be ported and remastered in terms of controls. I want to see Dark Samus and Ridley's other appearances in 3 get the light-up treatment, not to mention the other regions in Prime 2 and planets in Prime 3. Sanctuary Fortress in 2 and SkyTown Elysia in 3 come to mind. Even the dreaded looking Pirate Homeworld could look more interesting with a visual update.

Aside from 1 being my personal favorite of the trilogy, it will have benefited the most from the remaster touch at the end of the day with how it aged the most in certain areas, but I’d like the sequels to be given as much effort. Prime 1 originally sold the most, so in a way I can understand giving it an exceptional amount of attention for a remaster, but if you want the sequels to sell more than before at least, it makes sense to give them as much of a remaster as 1 got. If they’re lesser remasters though, I think it would be fair for 2 and 3 to be packaged together for $40, but we’ll see.

And if they're still serious about Sylux, it would make as much sense to reintroduce him through a Prime Hunters remaster, after his Prime 3 and Federation Force stint.

It may be premature to talk about this also, but lowkey curious as to what potential content updates Prime 1 Remastered could get. For instance, there’s no Fusion Suit skin unlockable like there was in the original. What if instead of bringing back the Fusion Suit, they capitalized on the Dread hype and have the Dread Suit as an unlockable instead? Saw someone mention the idea of boss rush like what Dread got, but not sure Prime really needs that but if we get it, won’t complain. Same with another difficulty option, challenging as hard mode already was still.

There may be some small updates the remaster will get aside from extra content, to fix some small bugs. Saw a clip of someone falling outside of the map in Chozo Ruins through a gap in one of the top walls, though looked like you actually had to go out of your way to find that. Also maybe fixing that little mirror in Chozo Ruins so you can see Samus’s reflection again? Depending on what kind of development timetable the new Retro team was on, I can understand cutting corners with some of the little things like that, but would be nice if an update fixed any of that.

Oh, I guess a thread separate from the Dread thread was for the best. At least all my posts related to MPR were moved here. :v

Edited by Ridley Prime

Indie emulation people already managed to separate Prime 3 from motion controls awhile ago. Between that, Skyward Sword, and Mario Galaxy, I never saw the motion controls as much a hurdle in porting MP3 as people made it out to be. I know at least one person elsewhere who was unable to experience Prime 3 like the first two due to their Wii motion sensor bar becoming broken at some point, so making Corruption more accessible would be a service to anyone in that disposition.

If the rumors about Prime Remastered was already finished in 2021 is to believed (and Nintendo being Nintendo just decided to wait to release it this year), then Prime 2 and 3 may already be well under way. If the experience in somewhat remaking the whole previous trilogy is what the new Retro needed to become experienced enough in doing Prime 4, then so be it. Will take whatever we get though with how content I already am from the Prime 1 remaster alone. I may not have as much spare time later to go all the way through 2 and 3 again anyway.

I've heard of the rumors too and more so with any Nintendo rumor, I take them with the biggest grain of salt.

Tho, I have no horse in this race when it comes to the excitement to play MP 2 and MP 3 remastered, I feel for those if those games don't get the treatment Metroid Prime Remastered got.

Despite the rumor of Metroid Trilogy remaster coming, then we kept hearing rumors of it only MP and not MP 2 and MP 3 had me concerned. Yeah, MP 4 has been in development for a while and releasing all of the trilogy long before MP 4 is ready would be premature to do without stretching out for time.

I feel currently right now MP 4 is ready for reveal soon and launch date.(even if its for next year)

So if MP 2 and MP 3 are getting a remaster, (whether it be like Metroid Remastered or not) they gotta show and release that soon.

• 3 weeks later...

So… These icons and borders & backgrounds for them are available for a limited time, like a week or so.

569D37B7-808F-4D1A-BA62-7A492697D783.thumb.png.32ad5bd9cdc81f63303b6aa58e26aa6d.png

This was what I first came up with.

F80BF482-8B65-41AF-97E6-E3B9095E9AA4.jpeg.341f68d4812c7ed74df14d8cc3fbdc71.jpeg

Once again I’ve been spoiled with Ridley content, but after feeling underwhelmed by the NSO icon selection after a certain point, I guess it was about time that I got options that were much more to my liking.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I guess the original tweet of that clip by someone else that I posted earlier got deleted.

But yes, I did exactly that on my 2nd playthrough, saving me the trouble of coming back for that artifact later. Surprisingly not that hard with a little practice.

Also saw a clip by someone else where they got that one Chozo Ruins artifact without the gravity suit. It’s possible to get through the water and reach that room with just any suit, but takes a certain timing and positioning with jumps. Since I usually backtrack for everything in the Ruins in one fell swoop after getting the plasma beam though, waiting until I had the gravity suit for that one artifact was not an inconvenience or anything.

The aforementioned Phendrana Drifts one you have to go pretty out of your way for when backtracking though, if you don’t do the trick in the posted clip.

Prior knowledge of how to get the other artifacts makes getting them just a muscle memory thing like with any other item. At least for me, but I know they can be annoying to get for people new to the game with their first playthrough.

On the flipside to being a veteran of the game, some of the basic early bosses like Flaahgra are kinda boring now (on any difficulty) since you already know what to do with years of experience.

Prime 1 has still maintained its magic for me otherwise though apart from that and some of the padding.

The 2nd wave of Prime icons are out. Aside from more backgrounds, decided to get the Space Pirate icon, though not sure if I’ll use it.

Been replaying Metroid Fusion since it got added to GBA NSO last night, and what a ride it's been. Thought I would've forgotten more of it with how long it's been, but still remember everything for the most part.

Aside from Ridley-X whose fight was a disappointment compared to most other iterations of the character, I still think Fusion had some of the best bosses for 2D until MercurySteam got involved in the series. Restarted after my initial playthrough to go for a 100% speedrun to see if I still got it there, and then will see how I do again on a 1% playthrough.

Between this and my Prime Remastered runs, it really has been 2002 all over again, not to mention another golden age for the series with all this after having Dread.

6D7D7B6A-35CE-47A8-BA02-366261CEB515.thumb.png.386833e49ed65c2b56edf75fd3e7c995.png

I still got it. The Fusion ending artworks is still the best look for suitless Samus by far imo; out of the 2D stuff.

Didn’t quite get the under 2 hours 100% ending, but that’s my favorite Fusion ending Samus pose anyway.

Oh, and my 1% runthrough.

C10C3659-0286-4C03-AE5B-A3EAEE050906.thumb.png.35aa61a859c0b608a914a7150a91db41.png

Realized I didn’t post it earlier, but to also keep it Prime related, this was my initial hard mode playthrough.

0BA3B811-7CD9-4D69-98A0-B3A9F35C387A.thumb.jpeg.03226d02f156da0dad2d7a2705cb810d.jpeg

Edited by Ridley Prime
  • 2 weeks later...