Does Metroid Other M still suck?

Sheri

I like some bits of it, but I overall thought it was forgettable.

I think he's right as far as missed opportunity. That goes for the story AND the gameplay.

I wish Nintendo would give the third person action another go for Metroid. I'd love to see Platinum Games have a go at it...of course with someone else handling the story (not Sakamoto...but a Western writer would be nice). I don't want their patent wackiness in it.

Edited by LUIGITORNADO

For what it was I enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind another game in that same style from a gameplay standpoint.  I think they approached a good design for representing Metroid in a third person perspective.  Change up the controls (only issue I had was how missiles were done which was a bit cumbersome) and dial back the cinematics and just focus mostly on gameplay and I think they could take that framework and really do something special with it.  For whatever faults it has I enjoyed actually playing that game from start to finish so I wouldn't mind if they went that direction again per suggestions above.

58 minutes ago, Stopdoor said:

I feel like the character assassination means people take this one more personally, but Federation Force does rile some people up a lot. 

Well, to be fair many of Other M's detractors actually played the game and have some experience to draw from in their criticism of it.  I'd wager most of Federation Force's detractors haven't.

1 hour ago, Chrom said:

I wonder if people dislike this game or Federation Force more.

I have not played Federation Force and therefore I will not cast judgment on the game itself. I don't like some the things I've heard, which is why I won't be buying it unless it's around $10, but even after the faults it sounds like a far more tolerable game than Other M.

Even if it might not seem like it on the surface, I'd say people hate Other M way more than Federation Force.

The hate for Federation Force mainly stems from it's timing, of being the only Metroid anything we've gotten out of Nintendo since Other M. If it had dropped soon after Prime 3, people would have just been like "wtf is this? Uh, okay Nintendo. Okay."

Basically, people only hate FedForce as much as they do because of Other M.

The game was bad on release. And it is still bad now only worse as it aged like fine milk in the hot summer heat.

also I always laugh at this.

Spoiler

REMEMBER ME? ?EM REBMEMER

But seriously the sad part this entire single bad metroid game almost killed the series for good.... Almost now that we have Triforce Heroes V2 FPS edition.

Fans exaggerate how bad it is. It's far from the worst game Nintendo has ever produced. The only thing really wrong with it is the story. I actually really like the way Samus handles in this game. I always felt like she moved too slow in Prime. I consider one of Samus's defining powers to be the Speed Booster, so I was really happy to see her be more acrobatic in this game. 

It's underwhelming in a lot of ways, and it's fine to talk about that, but I really do feel as if people act as if it's a lot worse than it really is. 

I don't feel Metroid Other M sucks as I do enjoy the game when I do decide to play it. Other M has slowly fallen down my ranks though over the years after having great impressions of the game at the start, so much so that I did like 35 completions almost all consecutively. At one point during that period, I felt that Other M was the best Metroid game I had played. Part of the reason why the game has fallen for me is due to a return to Metroid Prime Hunters as well as putting more time into Super Metroid, two Metroid games that are not restrictive and certainly occur in a much more engaging setting than a giant research ship that wasn't as grand as the B.S.L, a giant research ship that I had already gone through with the series. Now I do like the Biosphere, Pyrosphere and Cryosphere from a visual standpoint and I do like some of their occupants, but the game overall seems like it just has that surface level and nothing deeper.

While B.S.L. focused on organisms acquired from SR388, we never know where all of these different species on the Bottle Ship actually came from. I think there was a missed opportunity in not giving these interesting creatures a place of origin and in the process build upon the Metroid universe like the entirety of the Prime Series has (yes, that includes Federation Force). The atmosphere of the game seems more told than displayed as well...Similar to the problem I have with Metroid Prime and the afflictions the Chozo and Space Pirates faced, you don't see many dead scientists around the Bottle Ship in spite of being shown the chaos that broke out when MB went psycho or when "Little Birdie" riles up local predators. It causes an atmospheric disconnect for me in that sense, even though I do like the thematic atmosphere of the Bottle Ship's sectors.

Metroid Other M in my opinion controls and feels well for the most part. I like the simplicity of the game's controls when in third person, and I like being engaged by the switching mechanic for first person and Concentration. Neither I had a problem adjusting to in the heat of an encounter. Where the controls slipped for me though was whenever Samus was in the air, and especially when trying to do Overblast. When trying to land on an enemy the game acts finicky at times. I really notice it the most when dealing with the likes of the Sidehoppers, Dessgeegas and Baristutes.

When stacked up to Metroid Prime Federation Force, it's a shame to see that Other M's high production value and playable Samus ultimately seem to put it over as that's really all it has over Federation Force. Federation Force provides a sense of exploration and discovery throughout much of the game as opposed to putting it all on the tail end. The game certainly demands more than Sense Move - Charge - Shoot - Sense Move - Charge - Shoot for much of the encounters the Federation Force is involved with and will reward you for utilizing the various strategies available. As for restrictions in the environment, Federation Force does have missions which block off prior rooms as you advance; however, it also has missions like M04: Containment, M08: Dustoff and M09: Blender which are open environments. The main difference though with Federation Force and Other M in terms of restrictions is that when I felt like I could do something within Federation Force, I usually could and often got a MOD for it, where as in Other M there are plenty of times where I would think I could do a particular action within the setting and hit an invisible wall. Federation Force rewards the player both for exploring what they can do in combat with the equipment that they choose and for what directions they believe that they may take within a given location within a mission. Other M doesn't have much motivation to experiment in combat nor to explore.

As far as Samus Aran goes, I think Federation Force handles Samus better as a likable character in spite of being less intriguing. Samus in Other M looked great and seemed like a character with more on her mind than shooting and killing Space Pirates, but felt more unproductive due to the restrictions of the Authorization system and the actual environmental design, those invisible walls. The productivity levels for Samus Aran in Federation Force are astronomical...as Miles would say, the bounty hunter works fast. I suppose it may be due to playing a Metroid game not from the perspective of Samus, but every time I saw a glimpse of Samus Aran's ship in Federation Force it always felt exciting. I happened to see her fly over once in a mission I was struggling with, and the feel of the mission flipped even though I kept taking a beating from the Space Pirates. The idea of Samus Aran being in the immediate vicinity was a morale boost, and I would say in general nearly all of her cameos felt that way. She felt like a beacon for success and hope. For comparison, you could say that Federation Force for the most part seems like a perspective from M. Angseth from Metroid Prime 2, "She'd be out there taking care of business(...)"

Edited by IUniverse

I've owned it for a few years now and haven't got around to playing it yet, like many Wii titles :shy: my first obstacle has always been the controllers, I'll still give it a chance one day as I'm a fan of the Metroid series, I may be willing to overlook its flaws, but there are others I've barely scratched the surface on that will come first, like Skyward Sword.

Metroid Other M never lived up to its initial trailer.

That trailer showed flashes of brilliance, a promises of an over-the-top action Metroid game. Not a return to form for the series, but something different. A Metroid in the style of Ninja Gaiden, something to appease the hardcore gamer looking for something challenging, something flashy, something fun. We didn't get that. We got a functional action game, one that was playable, even decent at moments, but hampered by a poor story and a bad control scheme.

Story issues aside, Metroid Other M had the potential to be a genre defining title, one that seemed like a no-brainer of a collaboration that should have lead to new, exciting opportunities for the franchise. And it failed.

It's far from the worst game on the Wii. It is, however, one of the bigger disappointments.

I agree with most of what was said in the video. I always thought it was closer to a Devil May Cry action game than it was to a Metroid game. Metroid was never about trudging forward down a linear path until you're stopped by a locked room that won't open until you defeat all of the enemies. It was about exploring an alien world, with nothing but your own curiosity (and your limitations) to tell you where to go. 

Though I notice he conspicuously didn't comment on the pixel hunt sections during the cutscenes. SCREW. THOSE. I can't stand to play Other M now, but I did have fun with it (for the most part) on my first run through. But even back then, those bits had me turning off the console and not playing it for days. 

Let's be honest, Phantoon was the pest part of that whole game. He was freaking terrifying in that incarnation, and you had to find him on your own. He hid away in the one room you hadn't explored during the game, and you had to find him by your own curiosity, not as part of some arbitrary mission objective. That's as close as Other M comes to capturing the spirit of Metroid. 

My opinion is that Other M does still suck. A lot. Phantoon is the only thing I like about it and I'll probably never replay it as long as I live.

Edited by Laclipsey

Finally got around to watching the video, and yeah, I pretty much agree with everything the guy says.  The gameplay isn't atrociously bad but has a lot of problems and it's just meh at its highest points.

Out of all the Metroid games I've played (which, I've played all of them except for Zero Mission and MPH, and I guess FF since that's out now), Other M is definitely the worst by far.