The Big 3 not taking part in E3 this year?

E3 this is finally coming back this year, but it looks like neither of The Big 3 (Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox) will be taking part in any form... *see tweet below*

I know Sony hasn't been there the last few E3s and Nintendo has since been doing digital E3 presentations, but it's odd that with E3 finally coming back that neither Microsoft or even Nintendo will there. Maybe they realized during the pandemic that they don't need to speed all that money to go to E3 and create a massive booth, when they can just put out a digital event and be done.

Is E3 dead?

Edited by alienboyva

Tho, multiple sources seems to be calibrating that the big 3 won't partake in E3.

I think most we'll say even if there's been absence of E3 the last few year, we want a E3. The thing is what form will it take with such a long absence, huh? That is the true question.

It is easy enough to say we want E3 but how will it look in semi-post pandemic world. With that all said, I can't say it is that or more this could be happening or not but I think this is more of a wait and see. Then just thinking of the possible outcome of the big 3 not at being at E3 or if they will?

Regardless of either outcome, how will this E3 go. All we know is that they are going digital and in person and that they are splitting the public and press. That's all we know structure but plans not so much. Which is normal this time of the year, as we approach June we should start to see the plans come to surface, along with what is going on with the big 3 showing up to E3.

Honestly, it is easy to look at this as clickbait, if gaming news going slow (it is January afterall) but as much I don't want this to happen strongly. I will set aside wishful thinking on something that is not sure and just wait and see what happens in the next coming months.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe i'm too indifferent about it, but i feel like the whole thing is a relic of the past. a big in-person conference with lots of goofy setpieces and such is just totally unnecessary for sharing news with consumers, and though it was fun to experience reveals with a crowd, you can pretty much do the same thing watching directs with friends. streamers often watch it live, too, so it's not hard to find a big crowd. it wasn't even open to the public until recent years, long past its heyday. like the most memorable moments ppl i'd see ppl share outside of game news they could get anywhere were like, CEOs and presenters being hilariously awkward. and if that's your cup of tea, the relevant companies are all present y;

• 3 weeks later...

It's official...

Yeah, in perspective. Microsoft is doing their own thing, who knows what Sony is doing any year it's E3 time, and tho Nintendo for over a decade now hasn't done presentations at E3, you had their physical presence. So you take away there presence with what was already gone from E3 presently and much is left of E3. No matter what Nintendo says that they still support E3. Okay, Nintendo whatever.

Now, to me, this brings to light what was brought up at the same of the big 3 not attending E3; Nintendo doesn't have anything big to show at E3 is why they are not going? I'm somewhat sort of leaning on that now. But I am chalking it up saving money for what will not be a worth while cause. It's there in their statement of case by case basis. (I believe they said the same thing with TotK priced at $70)

Imma wait and see what Nintendo will have to share as we approach June. Of course we most likely will get a Direct but that's about it.

Also, with Nintendo showing up in a big way at PAX East. This is the only time this year maybe Nintendo will go out big for media and fans, who knows.

All in all a wait and see what Nintendo will bring year end.

• 1 month later...

Sounds/looks like E3 has been cancelled this year

Considering how many Companies pulled out i’ve heard here and there, part of me isn’t too surprised either

Doesn’t sound like it’s going to return in the future either at least from what i read in the link as of now

Sounds like it’s an end of an era for E3

• 1 month later...