Fire Emblem Heroes

Chrom

1 hour ago, Carl321 said:

This banner is disgusting. Skill powercreep across the board and one new character. Ugh I shouldn't have blown all my orbs. I want Tiki and Berkut.

I'm so tired of pointing out how shamelessly overpowered most Gen 3 units are. We're so far past the points where nobody survives a round of combat and nobody survives a special attack.

Like, Fallen Corrin's base kit alone gives her +15/+12/+6/+6 without visible buffs. Sword lady OC character has effectively a 16mt slaying critical Brave Sword. Fallen Tiki is an "armor" unit with no movement penalty and constant buffs to go beyond even her likely 180 BST--complete with Special Fighter pre-loaded, of course.

Okay, there's my vent.I got Top 600 in Aether Raids last week but I'm not even going to try this time. I'm also ditching the alt account I made when I'd gotten bored of my units, as Book 3 has brought a large influx.

. . . I mean, just look at the "story team" of Alfonse, Sharena, Anna, and Eir. It's such a joke seeing them at the end of every intro video, as there's no way you could ever defeat those new units using the Akr trio.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:25 AM, Destiny Hero said:

I've stopped doing grind quests, and it's made the game much more bearable.

These gacha games are designed to put hard limits on your progress and resources, based on how many days you've been playing for. If you don't finish your daily chores, that's progress that you'll lose forever as other players chug on ahead of you. That's the powerful psychological effect that gets you to complete these chores compulsively even when the rewards are minimal and inconsequential.

The healthy mindset is to be self-aware of this, and to convince yourself that you truly aren't missing out on anything meaningful. Collecting the 15 free daily feathers is a chore that sucks a little bit of fun and momentum out of the game, and it'd take you almost 4 years to get a single promotion out of it. So instead, I imagine it as killing off a 5* I wasn't going to use anyway, and in exchange I never have to worry about that chore again. Same with the Tenth Stratum quests--doing those would take around an hour or more, just for one Bartre. Or alternatively, would you release a Bartre to gain an hour back?

A lot of these tasks are designed to make you think about the game as much as possible, while giving you as little as possible in return. What's the lowest reward they can give you while still getting you to spend time with their product? It's typical predatory behavior for this genre.

tl;dr: Ignore tasks with lousy rewards. Make your life better.

I've moved on to granblue fantasy, letting me mostly put feh off.

With that said, this new banner has me wanting the characters in it, so I'll probably gather the orbs I've got sitting around in quests for it.

I think the aim of most gen 3 powercreep, as seen with characters like Mareeta and L!Alm, is to kill off enemy phase strategies. 

Most cheap good investment units tend to be enemy phase, such as Tiki, Nowi, and Fae. Whatever few good player phase +10 projects are usually outclassed by the closest 5* counterpart: Soleil is good, but she's no Karla. The reason why EP tends to the default is caught up with quick riposte 3; if your speed is awful, you can always double in EP. Notice how many gen 3 unit have a prf or null follow up that simply negates QR3. 

And I do think that's what gen 3 powercreep is about: not just making stronger units, but changing the meta from "let my units tank five enemies in a row" to "kill them before they kill you." And it's far more subtle; it isn't just that Mareeta is better Karla, but also your Nowi who's been able to tank reds may not be able to do so against gen 3 units. That requires new units, and certainly Thea, Mordecai, and Reyson aren't the units that'll help. You will need to pull the new 5*, which is the point. 

This is made all the more egregious by aether Raids bring five vs six, which makes player phase impossible outside of galeforce and hit and run. If units are made with AR in mind, it doesn't matter how good your player phase is if they can't tank an enemy. 

I suppose the reason I'm not bothered by gen 3 powercreep as most is there is a point that EP units have had it really good in this game. I just wish, if they're so intent or making feh more player phase oriented, we had more accessible units designed with the new meta in mind. 

Edited by Ares
18 minutes ago, Ares said:

I think the aim of most gen 3 powercreep, as seen with characters like Mareeta and L!Alm, is to kill off enemy phase strategies. 

Most cheap good investment units tend to be enemy phase, such as Tiki, Nowi, and Fae. Whatever few good player phase +10 projects are usually outclassed by the closest 5* counterpart: Soleil is good, but she's no Karla. The reason why EP tends to the default is caught up with quick riposte 3; if your speed is awful, you can always double in EP. Notice how many gen 3 unit have a prf or null follow up that simply negates QR3. 

And I do think that's what gen 3 powercreep is about: not just making stronger units, but changing the meta from "let my units tank five enemies in a row" to "kill them before they kill you." And it's far more subtle; it isn't just that Mareeta is better Karla, but also your Nowi who's been able to tank reds may not be able to do so against gen 3 units. That requires new units, and certainly Thea, Mordecai, and Reyson aren't the units that'll help. You will need to pull the new 5*, which is the point. 

This is made all the more egregious by aether Raids bring five vs six, which makes player phase impossible outside of galeforce and hit and run. If units are made with AR in mind, it doesn't matter how good your player phase is if they can't tank an enemy. 

I suppose the reason I'm not bothered by gen 3 powercreep as most is there is a point that EP units have had it really good in this game. I just wish, if they're so intent or making feh more player phase oriented, we had more accessible units designed with the new meta in mind. 

This is a very astute analysis I hadn't considered before, despite long railing about how Quick Riposte has single-handedly defined the entire course of this game.

Though all of these Null Follow-Up effects are largely pointless. Units like Alm and Tibarn are already going to obliterate everyone but the bulkiest tanks before that counter-follow-up. The nature of this game makes both EP-dedicated and PP-dedicated units extremely problematic. A hypothetical Late Gen 3 metagame with everyone negating each other's follow-ups would be more balanced, like the game was at launch (and until CYL1, minus Reinhardt and only Reinhardt). But it'll take a long time to reach that metagame, and very few units will be usable in it.

Lots of fragile interactions in Fire Emblem Heroes, and not enough foresight.

What if there was a Skill forge in the same way that there's a Weapon forge?

You could spend a set number of Orbs to upgrade any unit's skill into another skill that has the first one as a prerequisite.

For example, if you wanted your Reinhardt to get Death Blow 4, you could simply upgrade his Death Blow 3 instead of having to roll for Brave Celica. That way, whales will still have an incentive to spend money on Orbs because Orbs will have another use besides summoning.

A skill forge would be nice, but IntSys won't do it. 

They want people to spend their orbs in as much quantity as possible, and the game has made a lot of changes (some overt, some subtle) to do that. For people who primarily use their gen 1 units because it's their favorite or something, getting people to roll for units to give said favorite better skills is a vector to spend orbs, and hoping IntSys provides an alternative seems naive. 

Edited by Ares

I have a question about skills. Maybe you guys can help me. So I've made Haar a heavy investment unit because I love Haar. I've merged him as much as it's possible to do at this point (+2). I've given him Ardent Service+ (HP +5, Def +4), Rally Spd/Def, Ignis, Atk/Def Bond 3, Quick Riposte 3, and both Odd and Even Def Wave 3 skills. This build should mitigate his lackluster speed while making him into the flying fortress he is Radiant Dawn. By this I mean all of these skills should add up to a buff of +15 Def on any given turn that he's placed next to another unit, but if I check his buffs on any given turn, the most it shows is the +6 from Def Wave.  Do these skills not stack naturally? Or is there something I'm missing?

39 minutes ago, Laclipsey said:

I have a question about skills. Maybe you guys can help me. So I've made Haar a heavy investment unit because I love Haar. I've merged him as much as it's possible to do at this point (+2). I've given him Ardent Service+ (HP +5, Def +4), Rally Spd/Def, Ignis, Atk/Def Bond 3, Quick Riposte 3, and both Odd and Even Def Wave 3 skills. This build should mitigate his lackluster speed while making him into the flying fortress he is Radiant Dawn. By this I mean all of these skills should add up to a buff of +15 Def on any given turn that he's placed next to another unit, but if I check his buffs on any given turn, the most it shows is the +6 from Def Wave.  Do these skills not stack naturally? Or is there something I'm missing?

The weapon refinement gives him a flat +4. This appears as as a change in his base stats, not a bonus ("blue"). 

Defense Wave is a bonus, and will appear blue with a +6.

Atk/def bond is an in-combat buff, and since it's applied only during combat, it won't appear on his stats (you can't check stats during combat). 

But, yes, all of this would result in +15 more defense than a Haar with vanilla ardent service and no other skills. 

35 minutes ago, Ares said:

The weapon refinement gives him a flat +4. This appears as as a change in his base stats, not a bonus ("blue"). 

Defense Wave is a bonus, and will appear blue with a +6.

Atk/def bond is an in-combat buff, and since it's applied only during combat, it won't appear on his stats (you can't check stats during combat). 

But, yes, all of this would result in +15 more defense than a Haar with vanilla ardent service and no other skills. 

Great. Thanks for the clarification! :)

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

What if there was a Skill forge in the same way that there's a Weapon forge?

You could spend a set number of Orbs to upgrade any unit's skill into another skill that has the first one as a prerequisite.

For example, if you wanted your Reinhardt to get Death Blow 4, you could simply upgrade his Death Blow 3 instead of having to roll for Brave Celica. That way, whales will still have an incentive to spend money on Orbs because Orbs will have another use besides summoning.

The players of this game float a lot of ridiculous ideas, and the Skill Forge will always be #1. It'd wreck the whole business model. Besides, Heroic Grails have already given us a skill shop. I don't think enough people have noticed that. And it's got a few darn good skills, even if they're outclassed by level 4s like Distant Defense.

1 hour ago, Laclipsey said:

Any skill that increases stats "for 1 turn" gives you those blue numbers. These buffs do not stack, so you can only retain the single highest buff per stat. These are the buffs which can get reversed by the Panic effect. Any other buffs (applied during combat) are "invisible" in-combat buffs, which do stack.

I have 684 orbs tomorrow, 687 if we're counting the forging bonds orb and login orb.

How many orbs do you think I'll have after getting Mareeta? theydonothing;

Also, the friend mock battle is a legitimately fun feature. It's nice to have a playground to actually *practice* AR matches in a stakes-free zone, and it's been fun trying out other people's fortresses to see how I can improve my offense.

Also, my Arvis is officially a +10 ploy boy! He'll get his tenth dragonflower on Monday (or tomorrow or sunday, depending on who pitybreaks me), so I'll showcase him then. But he is officially my second 5*+10.

35 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

@Ares From your experience, which Naga user has an easier time against Legendary Tiki: Deirdre, or Julia?

Mainly asking because I have both rotting in my barracks and I figure it might be worth having one of them handy for the next time Tiki's LHB comes around.

Julia can enemy phase Tiki with Naga which is great against certain builds, but if your goal is to one shot Tiki on LHB, you might be better off with Deirdre's Divine Naga with dull and +3 attack.

Si, generally, I prefer Julia, but for that LHB Deirdre might be better for a player phase approach. 

168 got me a Lene and two Mareeta. My first Mareeta, who I got during a ticket summon, was - spd and decided to go for another to fix that IV. Got a +spd one because there's no kill like overkill. 

Normally I wouldn't merge a 5*, exclusive like Mareeta with her amazing fodder, but since she is a character I intend to use a lot, I will. I'll likely need to think about how to best diffentiates Leif, Ayra, and Mareeta since they all have similar stat spreads and the same class. For the time being, Mareeta will use her basekit whereas Leif will rock his galeforce set.