Fire Emblem Heroes

Chrom

another event calendar yet another special heroes banner. :|

no, seriously, since NOhrian dusk we've either had regular banners, like farfetched 2; three banners that exist solely to get beasts in the game; a long overdue binding blade banner that felt completely out of place in year 3; garbage like adrift; and we all know the inevitably sleuth of 3H banners to come once that game releases--it feels like we're literally having to wait a year for something interesting to happen with new heroes.

Like, beasts are cool, but as someone who has very little interest in them (in part because it's clear you need to really invest in beast comps to really make use of them), a special heroes banner now just feel like "please wait one more month for something interesting" and I'm like... maybe at this point. It just feels like more filler after months of what felt like nothing but filler.

Edited by Ares

The waves of seasonals are tiring, I agree. I think this game puts out too many new units in general--the rate has increased now that all New Heroes are sets of 4, plus monthly Legendary, Tempest, and GHB units.

Anyway, time to get thinking about all the possibilities of a premium Haar build. He'll never have a good answer to magic damage, and I always feel like walls are useless if they can't handle magic. Has anyone had success with a purely physical wall?

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

If Gamepress is considered bad, are there any other sites you'd recommend for unit builds or GHB strategies?

Gamepress isn't bad per se, but a lot of the issues with gamepress honestly get caught up in a doing an impossible task: namely, you can't really just make a database of optimal unit builds. Gamepress is a site that provides unit builds that are designed for a non-cheerleader arena; which might be fine if that mode existed. That said, gamepress isn't a bad starting place, but also catch yourself before you're trying to turn someone like Deirdre or Soren into a PP green mage nuke when Nino exists. Phoenixmaster1 has some decent builds whenever a new banner or new refines come out and I find a lot of reddit showcases, especially from people who poured a lot of love into their unit (e.g. making it +10), to be really solid. But honestly, what makes a good build is so mode dependent.

For GHB specifically... honestly, each hero battle is its own puzzle. As someone who restricts themselves to Jugdral units only in hero battle maps, I tend to look at a map and see what units are on there and bring hard counters. Like, today's Haar map had two mages and a lot of physical attackers, so I brought Quan who's great at eating physical damage (except from Haar because green flier rippoerni quan). But Quan outright dies to mages, so I brought Arvis who's great at soaking magical damage; but not so great at giving it back. Most of those mages were fliers, so I brought Jamke because bows equal dead fliers. Lastly, no one could kill a blue mage, so Lewyn was brought in. But Haar's map is easier since there's no reinforcements; once reinforcements come in you need to take a player phase approach jsut for crowd control or use an enemy phase super nuke like Ares (who did a lot of good work on Yune's map). There's a reason why Celica+three dancers is a common abyssal strategy.

My point is that while some general HB strategies stay true: such as reinforcements means you should take a player phase approach, most maps need to be approached on their own merits. Try to bring a team with good counterpicking; if you lose a battle see if a few stat points would make a difference and bring a C skill to help, etc. There's a lot of trial and error on these maps. Phoenixmaster1 does free to play solutions (which is what he's mostly famous for), and while you may not want to copy a solution, if you're stuck watching his guides can sometimes help. Like Legendary Eirika's map is a general pain in the ass, but if you can create a certain a chokepoint can be handled relatively easily.

Edited by Ares

Wait so I'm new to AR tier 21 or higher. Do you return to AR tier 21 after each season if you climb up to the higher tiers? I noticed the lift requirments for Tier 22+ was a lot lower than it was to reach tier 21, so am I correct in guessing that Tiers 21+ are just a "see how high you can go before next season" sort of thing?

1 minute ago, Surge135 said:

Wait so I'm new to AR tier 21 or higher. Do you return to AR tier 21 after each season if you climb up to the higher tiers? I noticed the lift requirments for Tier 22+ was a lot lower than it was to reach tier 21, so am I correct in guessing that Tiers 21+ are just a "see how high you can go before next season" sort of thing?

Yep. Tiers 22 - 27 are the bonus "see how high you can go" tiers. Each tier is only 400 lift, but you'll always go back to 21. They were added so people in the top tier would still have a reason to compete.

Also, everything you see in Tier 21 is pure cancer. It's the most toxic game mode imaginable and I can't describe how much I hate it without saying some really concerning things. I have to keep reminding myself that the reward scaling is very minimal and not worth getting upset over.

The main reason if be okay dropping to T20 is because the things I've seen in T21 are the stuff of nightmares. But, I'm very safe this week at 11460 lift, immunity until tomorrow morning, and 150 unspent aether. 

I use a defense theme team of gen 2 Jugdral only, but I don't know if I'm easy to handle or just as much a part of the problem: http://imgur.com/a/VmjXtuX

And yes, I realize Olwen isn't strictly gen 2 jugdral since she isn't in fe4 but shhh

Edited by Ares

Time for me to do some spring cleaning by feeding fodder to the units that I either regularly use, or have spent a significant amount of fodder on already.

Let's start with Tiki Emblem:

vrTGuPc.jpg

My overall MVP. In addition to the skills listed here, she also has Swordbreaker, Quick Riposte, Earth Boost, two versions of Breath of Fog (+Atk and +Def), Vantage, Triangle Adept, and G Tomebreaker.

KoUBx2x.jpg

MILF Summer Tiki has two jobs: To hit things, and to hit things hard. Fury 4 and Devoted Axe are both on her shopping list, but a Tactic might not be a bad idea either since she can't take advantage of Dragon-buffing skills.

DOY1Xak.jpg

Aerobatics and Guidance together allow Loli Summer Tiki to both teleport away from archers, and help her other selves escape from Falchion. In hindsight, she's probably a bit too squishy for Distant Counter, but at least another Anti-Dragon breath is nice.

63qHlhq.jpg

All she needs is Special Fighter from BEphraim and she's basically perfect.

rLJpXPA.jpg

Not sure what Vanilla Loli can do that MILF and Legendary can't do better. As such, she only really sees action during Aether Raids.

Now for my other Manaketes and Manakete seasonal alts:

5ksU7SL.jpg

Designated Falchion-buster. Probably needs a better A-skill.

5zI19zG.jpg

After a long period of being overshadowed by Myrrh, I recently brought her back, +10'd her, and stuck her into Infantry Emblem. Haven't updated her skillset since her old days as a makeshift Reciprocal Aid healer.

NQ2aTbg.jpg

The only reason she has an Atk boon is because neither of her merges were +Def or +Res. Otherwise, I try to keep her away from combat.

pxxyPn6.jpg

Current Blue slot on Flier Emblem.

PlzH4Ld.jpg

Current Green slot on Armor Emblem. He also had a few clones that got eaten for Ward Dragons. Needs a seal.

6jdwH0u.jpg

Flying Tank. Needs a Myrrhge.

LhutdjR.jpg

Current Colorless slot on Flier Emblem. Needs a seal. Will probably get a merge in the unlikely event that there's ever a Colorless unit that I really want on a Legendary banner.

And now some other level 40 Manaketes that I haven't had the chance to build up yet:

pqsBlGB.jpg

t5622RT.jpg

WVfr0PZ.jpg

EVuWr1h.jpg

Not pictured: Two level 1 Idunns and Fem!Kanas.

Finally, units who aren't part of the glorious Manakete master race, but still see regular use:

uvI8Kuj.jpg

This is the ideal Reinhardt form. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

2IrSdSA.jpg

Current Red slot on Armor Emblem. Needs a seal and one more merge.

5FIO99u.jpg

Current Green slot on Horse Emblem. Needs a Seal. Will start working on merges once I finish Black Knight.

czo1ov6.jpg

Former Blue slot on Armor Emblem before Legendary Tiki. Debating whether it's worth it to feed her my remaining Brave Celica.

6VUGGnh.jpg

Former Flying Tank before Myrrh. Even his Axe-wielder status got usurped by NYazura.

VSsIXdL.jpg

Current Red slot on Horse Emblem.

CcVeHPu.jpg

Used her on Flier Emblem for the longest time. Her nature is kind of balls, though.

MDsHHTi.jpg

Saw a few uses on GHB quests that required all-Armor teams. That's about it.

K2s2c8c.jpg

Former Green slot on Armor Emblem before Grima. Debating whether to fodder him off for Distant Counter.

Hwtxctb.jpg

Same as above, but replace "Distant Counter" with "Armor March".

OEKE4sF.jpg

MEQgd0N_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Former Green slots on Flier Emblem.

9RLBv3i_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I know he's good, but don't know how to use him.

j9wV0bO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Current Colorless slot on Horse Emblem.

48sI9ID_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Only Healer that I've ever seriously used. Dies if you breathe on her.

epIzzVE_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Aaah, so that's where I left my QR seal!

7Iou1RW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Former Red slot on Armor Emblem before getting power-crept by Black Knight. But then again, it's not like a Manakete Supremacist can be all bad.

KB4HTQA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

eNrZdUu_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Dancers that I flip between whenever Ninian can't Ward Dragons.

6BEJ9hn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I love him as a character, but don't know what to do with him. He also has a level 1 clone with a shit nature.

Un3INEK.jpg

UOrfdVA.jpg

Lucky merges that I don't know what to do with.

My fodder list is here.

Something I wanted to bring up about armored units. 

Okay, it's incredibly silly that someone like Lukas becomes an armor when his clothes involve him literally changing out of armor. But... 

I play the game by focusing on units from FE4, which has become my favorite FE game. And I notice that if anyone focuses on a particular game (pooling archanea, tellius, and jugdral games together) like I do, not only are you locked to an armor team, you only have one in the first place *because* of "poncho=armor" shenanigans. To wit, I'll mark all "I can't believe they're armored" units with an asterisk. 

Archanea: draug, Sheena, Hardin, Sheena, Tiki*

Valentia: Lukas*, Duma 

Jugdral: Arden

Elibe/Binding: Zaphiel, Idunn, Fae*, Cecilia*, Gwendolyn

Elibe/Blazing: Lyn*, Eliwood*, Hector x4, Dorcas*

Magvel: B Ephraim, Eirika*, W Ephraim*, Amelia, Myrrh*

Tellius: Black Knight, Zelgius, Ike*, Greil*

Ylisse: Grima, Robin*, Chrom*, Lissa*, Tharja*, Henry*

Fates: Effie, Kagero*, Niles*, Flora*, Felicia*, Jakob*

Idk, I thought it was interesting observation. At the very least, if jugdralts ever happen, I'd honestly be happy with fliers or armors since that's what Jugdral is missing the most. 

Edited by Ares

So I did pull some on this banner. Initially wasn't super psyched for it but I do like Lukas pretty well, probably my second favorite make character in Echoes after Saber. Well I got lucky and got him with the bit of "saved" orbs I had plus chapter orbs. Got him +Def/-Spd which from what I can tell is pretty much the best IVs he could hope for (assuming  not removing the flaw which I don't plan to summon anymore on this banner). 

This ginger will have 36 base Def with his super boon, if he's defending he'll have 40 with his base weapon. He's ridiculoua. So now I need to decide how I want to build him. I know wary fighter can be good but I'm not a huge fan. I do have Halloween Myrrh who I got from the find and vote thing who is just sitting there. Vengful fighter sounds like it's be pretty good on him. I also don't plan on using him in Aether raids (or really plan around them in general) so his A skill will need replaced. Maybe one of the bonds can go there or something. 

35 minutes ago, Igneous42 said:

So I did pull some on this banner. Initially wasn't super psyched for it but I do like Lukas pretty well, probably my second favorite make character in Echoes after Saber. Well I got lucky and got him with the bit of "saved" orbs I had plus chapter orbs. Got him +Def/-Spd which from what I can tell is pretty much the best IVs he could hope for (assuming  not removing the flaw which I don't plan to summon anymore on this banner). 

This ginger will have 36 base Def with his super boon, if he's defending he'll have 40 with his base weapon. He's ridiculoua. So now I need to decide how I want to build him. I know wary fighter can be good but I'm not a huge fan. I do have Halloween Myrrh who I got from the find and vote thing who is just sitting there. Vengful fighter sounds like it's be pretty good on him. I also don't plan on using him in Aether raids (or really plan around them in general) so his A skill will need replaced. Maybe one of the bonds can go there or something. 

My only unit with Vengeful Fighter remains Grima, and he's so overrated. He usually dies before his second attack. Because of FEH's perpetual ORKO meta, Vengeful is only good on ultra-bulky armors. So... yeah, Lukas might work.

Something I've been thinking about: HP should NOT be calculated the same as other stats. From the very beginning the devs have known that HP is the most worthless stat, and thus we have a game where almost no unit can survive taking a second hit. Every round of combat is another kill, a problem which has only ever been getting worse as the game evolves. All stats keep increasing except for HP, and skills like Bonfire and Iceberg have become absurdly powerful.

Well I did it, here my boy is 

Screenshot_20190419-222410.thumb.png.6093153239e0fb74c2b25c873fe91154.png

That's 50 defense before buffs thanks to his refine. His Ignis hits like a truck and he can withstand physical attacks even from units with weapon advantage. 

I wish his Res was better, but with the team I'm running him with he's working pretty good. SS!Camilla is the only character who's specials are eclipsing his. He's hitting over 100 damage Ignis decently often. 

My AR defense has been working very well this week and I think it'll be the last tinkering I'll do for a long time. There were only two "successes," but they were the 'whoops I lost a unit, I still have an escape ladder, guess I'll use it' type of victories who could probably have one. But only one battle so far managed a clean victory, and even then, made a small tweak that shut off that victory.

This is my AR defense: https://imgur.com/a/5Iqws3f

Spoiler

cWd6T6R.jpg

First and foremost, it's a theme team. The theme is generation 2, Fire Emblem 4--albeit, taking a bit of liberty including Olwen but shhhh. But some gimmicks include:

• Its impossible to find a spot where Ares, Finn, and Olwen can all attack you without doing a "hit and run" strategy. While Finn's prowess is middling, Olwen and Ares are an extremely deadly duo.
  • Ares rallies Finn (or Seliph), which is how Ares/Olwen/Finn can all attack the same unit in a turn.
    • This is more useful than it first appears; since Ares ends up *in front* of Finn, this means any "drivers" for a supertank need to stand one space away from the supertank if they don't want to be hit by Ares. However, since Finn uses drag back and almost always attacks first, most supertanks lose their drive support.
  • Olwen is panic proof, thanks to Nanna. Her bladetome will hurt; also, she will generally have 63 speed with Finn and Lene driving her.
  • Ares has instant turn-1 Luna between grandscratcher and quickened pulse. He hits like a truck.
  • If you do do a hit and run, but don't kill Lene, Olwen will move first and be danced by Lene. Someone will probably die.
  • Sniping Lene is difficult; a hit and run strategy will almost always put you in range of Seliph *at least*. But Seliph has lunge, moves the unit one space back if he survives combat (practically a given thanks to Tyrfing), and put in range of Finn/Olwen/Ares
  • Nanna is no spring chicken herself. Although she's her primarily for support, she has respectively 46/39 (52/45 with atk/spd solo) offenses. That said, restore AI being what it is, she'll usually just end up using restore on everyone.
    • I'm using restore instead of restore+ atm since Ares getting too much health can ruin DC/vantage strategies, which occasionally proves helpful.

Since this is the closest my theme team has felt to "done," I felt like sharing in some detail how it works.

Edited by Ares