Fire Emblem Heroes

Chrom

The worst thing about the latest Oops All Camillas debacle is that the devs knew exactly what they were doing. It's been nine months since the uproar over Lyn #5, and almost as long since the pedo bait Bridal Sanaki. Yet they still decided that this event would be a good idea.

And it's not just the sixth Camilla--we've been getting a new Camilla alt every other month since last summer, on top of two back-to-back Azura alts.

Even Ryoma... Like, yes, he was due for an alt, but just a few months later we now have four Ryomas.

I'm still saving my orbs for Mythic Micaiah.

I'm saving my orbs for the inevitable new Genealogy banner or a surprise Ayra banner. Ayra is the only Genealogy unit I lack.

My goal is to create a 500 orb buffer to always have incase of emergencies like a legendary / mythic Seliph. Once I get more orbs than that... Idk. We'll see.

Also, tbh, I'm not surprised Ryoma is the only dude on this banner. It's no secret FEH is aimed towards horny straight males and well... half naked men aren't exactly amenable to that crowd. Like, part of me is surprised Ryoma isn't the free unit but I also wonder if Camilla was moved to TT following the backlash of Adrift.

At least the free Camilla will finally make me able to create a Camilla emblem if I ever wanted to. She'll be my number four since I didn't care enough for the previous two. 

Do you guys think we'll see another laguz banner soon? We didn't get any cats/lions/dragons previous time. If so who do you think are the most likely?

And what about the animal transformations from Fates? Think they have a chance? 

Can we get away from Fates please? Or at least away from the Hoshido/Nohr royalty? How many Camilla alts do we really need? Weren't we up to five already? I'm ready for Three Houses to come out already so IS will stop shoving Fates' least interesting characters in our faces.

Agh. I can't really complain too much. They just put Tibarn in, after all. I'm just so sick of seeing the same eight characters time after time. 

3 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

Can we get away from Fates please? Or at least away from the Hoshido/Nohr royalty? How many Camilla alts do we really need? Weren't we up to five already? I'm ready for Three Houses to come out already so IS will stop shoving Fates' least interesting characters in our faces.

Agh. I can't really complain too much. They just put Tibarn in, after all. I'm just so sick of seeing the same eight characters time after time. 

Here are three reasons not to get your hopes up for Three Houses:

1. The only information about this game is a vague and sloppy trailer from a year ago.

2. The newest Fire Emblem game is Shadows of Valentia, which has been almost completely ignored.

3. There's a chance that Three Houses could be directed by the same guy who directed Awakening/Fates/FEH, who plays favorites and is notorious for prioritizing waifu pandering and not caring about quality writing.

People are getting too hyped up over a game we really know nothing about. We should all be very skeptical of how secretive and lazy the game's PR team is.

11 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Here are three reasons not to get your hopes up for Three Houses:

1. The only information about this game is a vague and sloppy trailer from a year ago.

2. The newest Fire Emblem game is Shadows of Valentia, which has been almost completely ignored.

3. There's a chance that Three Houses could be directed by the same guy who directed Awakening/Fates/FEH, who plays favorites and is notorious for prioritizing waifu pandering and not caring about quality writing.

People are getting too hyped up over a game we really know nothing about. We should all be very skeptical of how secretive and lazy the game's PR team is.

Oh, it probably will be the same director. Dating sim elements, waifu pandering, and eugenics are heavy factors in the series' new identity. I thought Awakening managed to weave romance and children into the story in a way that was unobtrusive and added to the game's narrative, but I came away from Fates simply frustrated by its transparency. At the end of the day I'm more readily accepting of a narrative that introduces the grown children of the main heroes as a means to further the desperation of a doomed future time travel plot than one that places the children in alternate dimensions where time passes differently so they can be married off for the sake of waifu pandering. 

I'm skeptical of any new Fire Emblem going forward, because it was Awakening- the game that embraced player avatars, children characters, and waifu pandering- that propelled the series to such massive success. Now this may not have been a result of the waifu pandering in particular, but IS doesn't seem to care, as they've doubled down on it since then. I think we can expect that to continue in new entries in the series. 

I was pretty thoroughly happy with Shadows of Valentia, though. I just want them to make Shadows of Elibe. 

10 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

Oh, it probably will be the same director. Dating sim elements, waifu pandering, and eugenics are heavy factors in the series' new identity. I thought Awakening managed to weave romance and children into the story in a way that was unobtrusive and added to the game's narrative, but I came away from Fates simply frustrated by its transparency. At the end of the day I'm more readily accepting of a narrative that introduces the grown children of the main heroes as a means to further the desperation of a doomed future time travel plot than one that places the children in alternate dimensions where time passes differently so they can be married off for the sake of waifu pandering. 

I'm skeptical of any new Fire Emblem going forward, because it was Awakening- the game that embraced player avatars, children characters, and waifu pandering- that propelled the series to such massive success. Now this may not have been a result of the waifu pandering in particular, but IS doesn't seem to care, as they've doubled down on it since then. I think we can expect that to continue in new entries in the series. 

I was pretty thoroughly happy with Shadows of Valentia, though. I just want them to make Shadows of Elibe. 

Part of the problem with Fates is that its plot, scenario, and support conversations were outsourced to a script-writing company, and Revelations to a manga writer. And then, I guess the word is that the plots were further botched by careless executives. It all really shows, considering the games take us through, what five kingdoms? And between all three games we witness a grand total of maybe two civilians. I've never had a gaming experience more jarring than spending half of Revelations in the kingdom of Valla, yet never understanding what it was and never seeing any sign that humans ever lived there.

Awakening found a good balance of letting the avatar influence the story without ever individually driving it. Fates's protagonist is insufferably stupid (and wears a full suit of armor despite remaining barefoot, and can transform parts of his body into a dragon yet nobody ever comments on this). FEH's protagonist is a masturbatory self-insert.

Judging by how comically vague and lazy the Three Houses trailer is... I'm not hyped for it at all. There are so many dramatic lines of dialogue, and it's all completely meaningless because we don't know who's talking, who's being spoken to, what the motivations are, any consequences--absolutely zero context to any of this. Yet they expect us to be emotionally invested in these randos we've never heard of? Even the worst writers should know that you can't have drama and stakes with zero context.

9 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

Part of the problem with Fates is that its plot, scenario, and support conversations were outsourced to a script-writing company, and Revelations to a manga writer. And then, I guess the word is that the plots were further botched by careless executives. It all really shows, considering the games take us through, what five kingdoms? And between all three games we witness a grand total of maybe two civilians. I've never had a gaming experience more jarring than spending half of Revelations in the kingdom of Valla, yet never understanding what it was and never seeing any sign that humans ever lived there.

Awakening found a good balance of letting the avatar influence the story without ever individually driving it. Fates's protagonist is insufferably stupid (and wears a full suit of armor despite remaining barefoot, and can transform parts of his body into a dragon yet nobody ever comments on this). FEH's protagonist is a masturbatory self-insert.

Judging by how comically vague and lazy the Three Houses trailer is... I'm not hyped for it at all. There are so many dramatic lines of dialogue, and it's all completely meaningless because we don't know who's talking, who's being spoken to, what the motivations are, any consequences--absolutely zero context to any of this. Yet they expect us to be emotionally invested in these randos we've never heard of? Even the worst writers should know that you can't have drama and stakes with zero context.

I didn't know Fates' script was outsourced. But I have zero trouble believing it. Is that why every single support conversation involves training at the base? 

Never mind the fact that the entire crux of the story- and the premise Fates was predicated on- was having to choose who to side with. That could have been interesting had Revelations not swept both main stories neatly into the dustbin.  What a transparent cash grab that was. Instead it opts for this frustrating idiot plot where five minutes' ceasefire to talk things through would mean all eight royal siblings would see Garon for the mustache-twirling meanie man he is. I didn't finish Conquest and I didn't make it to Revelations, but I know enough about Valla to conclude that it's a contrived, overly-convenient plot device to prevent the heroes from simply talking it out, and it's lazy as all heck. 

It's a shame, because I really do think Fates does some interesting things. Unique skills for each character, limited reclassing options, an overhauled weapon triangle, and some fun new classes like Ninja and Witch. And there are some characters that I legitimately enjoyed, like Kaze, Silas, and Ophelia. None of them were the eight royal siblings. 

As for Three Houses, I don't really think the trailer is markedly worse than most other first looks we get at RPGs these days. I don''t think the goal of a teaser trailer is to set the stage for the narrative, but to drive excitement without establishing the stakes. I don't think the trailer is a good indicator of whether Three Houses marks a return to actual storytelling because we know nothing about the story yet. That said, while Shadows of Valentia was a return to form of sorts, I think most people chalk that up to it being created as a faithful remake of an NES game rather than consisting of new ideas meant to drive the direction of the series' future. What has thus far concluded the series indicates a direction I'm not happy with, and I don't think IS cares. If IS set out to make Awakening the ultimate Fire Emblem game, then Fates is the one where they sold out. Though I hate to use such a hackneyed phrase, I think it accurately describes what happened. I do not think Fates was a labor of love like Awakening was. Fates is a product, and the incessant marketing of the worst characters in the worst Fire Emblem game shows it pretty transparently.

Edited by Laclipsey

Primarily voting Altena. If she isn't scoring relatively high (as in not top four Jusgral units not yet in the game) by halfway results, I'll switch to Lex or another one of the top four. Additionally, if Seliph is in top five males, I'll rally behind him.

On the male side, Marth is deservedly a lock because of combined votes and I'm not sure if any other male I care about can get second place. So.. *shrugs*

Edited by Arvis

CabPaI3UcAIqM9v?format=jpg&name=900x900

Attractive characters (female or not) have always been part of the series' appeal. This goes all the way back to Marth and Roy appearing in Melee, the players loving them, and thus creating an incentive for Nintendo to begin localizing the series in the first place. Lyndis was specifically designed to be babby's first waifu so that Americans starting the series with Blazing Blade could have an attractive character to guide them through learning the basics of the series.

If you're upset about Camilla getting a sixth alt, that's a perfectly fine criticism. If you think Fates had a shitty plot, you're absolutely right.

But if you think "waifu-pandering" is what's ruining the series, then I've got some bad news for you.

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

CabPaI3UcAIqM9v?format=jpg&name=900x900

Attractive characters (female or not) have always been part of the series' appeal. This goes all the way back to Marth and Roy appearing in Melee, the players loving them, and thus creating an incentive for Nintendo to begin localizing the series in the first place. Lyndis was specifically designed to be babby's first waifu so that Americans starting the series with Blazing Blade could have an attractive character to guide them through learning the basics of the series.

If you're upset about Camilla getting a sixth alt, that's a perfectly fine criticism. If you think Fates had a shitty plot, you're absolutely right.

But if you think "waifu-pandering" is what's ruining the series, then I've got some bad news for you.

"Waifu-pandering" -> Not my words. But it is a convenient term for what we're talking about, so I adopted it to save time. 

Attractive characters aren't the issue. What kicked this off was the overmarketing of the core cast of Fates. I may have allowed my distaste for Fates in general to color my complaint, but I don't recall ever saying no one should be able to enjoy Fates or that people who enjoy Fates are dumb.  For what it's worth, I played Fates and enjoyed it to some extent. If one of you took more from the experience than I did, I won't lose any respect for you. I have leveled a number of criticisms at Fates that have little to do with the dating sim elements, namely the bad script, the monetization model, and the fact that the Hoshidan/Nohrian royalty won't go away.  

At any rate, I understand Binding Blade drove a similar rift between fans before I ever knew what Fire Emblem was. That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I worded it strongly but it's still only my opinion, and I feel I must emphasize that I will lose respect for no one if they disagree with me.