Fire Emblem Heroes

Chrom

8 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

So... just realized... My Grand Conquests screen says I'm in Outrealm 914.

Everyone playing Grand Conquests is split into at least a thousand different games. My game will show Alphonse dominating the kingdom; someone else's will show Anna winning. I can't even with this mode.

I think the goal with that was to make it feel like anyone can make a big contribution, which to be fair I kind of get. In something like the voting gauntlet, unless you are really into it and giving it your all the entire time you probably aren't more than a cog in the machine. With Grand Conquest, the teams are actually small enough that one person can make a pretty big difference. Honestly, I was harping on Grand Conquest initially but I think the mode has huge potential. It's biggest issues all have to do with rival domains as a map type being super divisive. If you don't like rival domains you don't like grand conquest. The "overworld" attributes of Grand Conquest are actually pretty good IMO. I don't mind that it separates people into teams within smaller outrealms because it makes it so everyone can make a pretty significant impact, being able to spend all your stamina at once or spread it out also helps it appeal to a variety of playstyles. People with limited time can contribute big where it's most meaningful, while people who are able to play a lot can help a bit everywhere. 

It also potentially lays the groundwork for "guilds" and a mode where they could function well. Instead of "friends helped" a guild can all be assigned the same team and you help your guildmates. I don't know if that is the goal, but it seems like a mode well suited to that if they go that direction. I think they really just need to improve the rival domain maps. If they weren't so tedious and at worst frustrating, I think the mode could be really fun. 

So I'm half considering giving this game a shot. What y'all's thoughts on jumping into this game this late?

My main concern is so many banners came and went. I'm cool that I won't be able to easily get past heroes, but I also wonder how much 'fun' revolves around said banners. Basically, is it possible to jump in now and still have fun?

19 minutes ago, Princess Minerva said:

So I'm half considering giving this game a shot. What y'all's thoughts on jumping into this game this late?

My main concern is so many banners came and went. I'm cool that I won't be able to easily get past heroes, but I also wonder how much 'fun' revolves around said banners. Basically, is it possible to jump in now and still have fun?

Yes.  There are a bunch of quests open specifically for people getting in late.  Seasonal heroes have also proven to have a chance of returning, with Legendary Heroes banners regularly featuring at least four seasonal units, and the Spring 2017 banner coming back in its entirety for the most recent voting gauntlet.

1 hour ago, Princess Minerva said:

here's what I'll say. Do not get too focused on "missing out" or anything like that. The game is best thought about on a longer-term scale, in that over time you'll get multiple opportunities at heros and new ones will constantly be added. If you can accept that the game can be fun. It's mechanically like fire emblem lite. In addition the game throws decent free units at you and some of the best units for clearing content are given to you free or are as common as water. The ONLY benefit to obtaining a brand new hero is usually those Heros are bonus units in the arena mode. You can have fun and clear 99% of the content with pretty much nothing but the common units.

If you start, btw, I highly recommend picking Brave Lyn as your free cyl hero (which I think they still do), and if you have the time, you can try re-rolling the account a couple of times to get a couple of free 5* units.

Edited by InXplotch
4 hours ago, Princess Minerva said:

During my first month with the game, my best unit, fully trained, had 34 attack.

Just by starting this game, you will now be given three of the strongest and most versatile units in the entire roster, each hitting at over 50 attack.

You will catch up just fine, especially since the summoning pool just got a massive overhaul to remove junk units.

My team's getting fucking destroyed, but whatever. Any feathers I don't get, someone else is getting. One of many reasons why I just can't care about this mode.

Halfway through a battle I realized that, even with 10 turns and 16 units on the board, one mistake at any point absolutely costs you the entire game. Even if all 10 turns go perfectly, you still can't always win. Even if you kill all of the enemies, every one of them will immediately respawn. There is no progression. There is no reward. One slip and the player loses, yet even if every unit on the opposing team gets slaughtered, they still gain advantage.

And, for whatever reason, move-boosted armors can pass through forests, meaning they're basically flying units. Though that's not specific to this mode.

Condolences to whoever gets me on their team for the last round. You'll be down a man.

16 minutes ago, Princess Minerva said:

So after reinstalling the Gane four times, got a five star, namely Fell Grima Robin-M.  I figured having a five star to start with was a good idea. I'll probably go through the story next.

That is a VERY good unit and one that frequently gives me problems in the arena. Good start.

7 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Upon recruitment, Saias refers to his "Lord Bragi".

Is there an NPC in Thracia with that name, or is this the official localization of Blaggi?

The latter, most likely.  The FE Wikia cites his name as Bragi, and it's the most sensible translation, as it's based on the name of a Norse god.

1 minute ago, Princess Minerva said:

Actually started playing today. I'm enjoying it. It's FE lite and I'm hoping there's enough content to keep me interested.

How bad is it if I want Soren to go along with Ike?

soren is available as a 4* unit, so he's somewhat common. He's not a fantastic green mage (nino is better) but he'll do the job. It's unlikely that he'll be featured on a banner, but given enough time he should show up.

Since you're new, here's some advice I wish I knew when I first started:

*You'll want to promote Alphonse, Sharena, and Anna to 5-stars as soon as you can, as there are frequently high-level quests that require using them.

*DO NOT merge a 5-star unit with a 4-star version of that same unit. If you want to merge a unit, always wait until all copies are at 5-stars (unless you're going for a 4-star +10).

*When summoning from a banner, always have a Focus unit in mind that you really want, and only pick orbs that match their color. If none of that color show up, pick a random orb and immediately stop summoning.

*For example, let's say there's a banner dedicated to Manaketes, with Tiki, Ninian, and Fae as the focus units. Since I want Tiki, I would only pick Red orbs. But if no red ones show up, I would decide whether I wanted Fae or Ninian for my "second choice", and pick one orb of that color, quit the current summon session, and then try again.

*Pretty much the only time you want to spend all 20 orbs in a single session is if you've already pulled the 5-star unit you want, as the pity booster for 5-star units resets on the next session after your last 5-star pull. So, if you've built up a high pity rate, and pull a Hector on your first pull of a session, you're more likely to find other 5-stars in that same session.

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Upon recruitment, Saias refers to his "Lord Bragi".

Is there an NPC in Thracia with that name, or is this the official localization of Blaggi?

Bragi is mentioned in FE4 too. The tower that Claud and Tailtiu visit in Chapter 3 is named after him.

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Since you're new, here's some advice I wish I knew when I first started:

*You'll want to promote Alphonse, Sharena, and Anna to 5-stars as soon as you can, as there are frequently high-level quests that require using them.

*DO NOT merge a 5-star unit with a 4-star version of that same unit. If you want to merge a unit, always wait until all copies are at 5-stars (unless you're going for a 4-star +10).

*When summoning from a banner, always have a Focus unit in mind that you really want, and only pick orbs that match their color. If none of that color show up, pick a random orb and immediately stop summoning.

*For example, let's say there's a banner dedicated to Manaketes, with Tiki, Ninian, and Fae as the focus units. Since I want Tiki, I would only pick Red orbs. But if no red ones show up, I would decide whether I wanted Fae or Ninian for my "second choice", and pick one orb of that color, quit the current summon session, and then try again.

*Pretty much the only time you want to spend all 20 orbs in a single session is if you've already pulled the 5-star unit you want, as the pity booster for 5-star units resets on the next session after your last 5-star pull. So, if you've built up a high pity rate, and pull a Hector on your first pull of a session, you're more likely to find other 5-stars in that same session.

Too add--this color-sniping is mostly a late-game technique, when you have your niches filled out. Newer players can definitely benefit more from summoning in bulk, because it lets them get more units overall, and they're less likely to end up with two units who perform the same role.