Losing Your Pet and Coping

Juanblue85

I had forgotten about this thread but 2 weeks ago yesterday, I had to have my cat Halle put to sleep, who had been with me over 13 years since she was 9 weeks old. She had renal failure and possibly cancer and had gotten to the point where she could barely stand up. It was hard as hell seeing her lose over half her weight over the 9 months or so leading up to this although she was still able to get around fine until 2 days before I had her euthanized, which is when she got to where she could barely walk and then to point where she could barely stand over the course of 2 days. The vet thinks she may have had a mini-stroke that caused the mobility issues but either way she was continuously losing weight even though she was eating more than normally.

Holding her in my arms when she went to sleep and seeing her dead eyes as the vet took her away was one of, it not the hardest thing I've ever done and maybe the worst I've ever felt in my life. The last pets I lost that I was really close to were my 2 dogs when I was a kid that were like brothers to me, the 2nd one dying when I was 14. But she was like a daughter and even though I still have 2 cats, one of which was her litter mate who I took in at the same time and another just over a year old that I took in last year, it hasn't helped me feel any better. I'm slowly getting over it now but still almost every time I close my eyes I see her falling asleep in my arms and it fucking kills me.

It's really hard getting so attached to animals when it's almost certain that you'll outlive them and even telling yourself that or thinking that you've prepared yourself when you know they're sick and probably aren't going to make it is pretty damn hard if not impossible. I thought I had prepared myself since the vet had already told me that she wouldn't last long with the renal failure and if she kept losing weight but that Wed that I saw her barely being able to walk and knowing for almost certain that it was over, I completely lost it. Emotions are kind of a bitch.

9 hours ago, JanusDS said:

Yeah man, its tough....  I didn't realize your cat was THAT SICK even though you had chatted about it.

I think we had Ms. Siren close to 12 years....   and seeing how thin she had gotten, and then hearing that news from the vet...  then thinking about how sweet of a cat she was, always talkative, always wanting to sit in your lap, always wanting attention of some kind be it petting or otherwise... and then to have her peter out on such a sad note...

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Yeah sounds like pretty similar situations as horrible as they may be. I really was sorry to hear about Siren, I used to see Art talk about her a lot back when he got on chat more often back in the xat days. I know you guys really loved her.

Halle sounds very similar to Siren, she was my only cat that was nice to everybody, always coming out to see who was there and maybe sit in your lap if she knew you or to get to know you. She was vocal when she wanted attention or affection and she loved to jump up on my shoulder like a parrot and just perch there for awhile or if I held my arm out she would wrap around it too. My other cats are too damn big to even do that kinda thing, lol.

3 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Man, I hope this turns out good, but our other cat Ms. Fluffy  / Belle is looking the same way Ms. Siren did last week and instead of waiting a day for the appointment, Art is gonna take her today.  It would be really tough to lose both of them within a week.

Damn :(. I hope the outcome turns out ok. 

5 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Man, I hope this turns out good, but our other cat Ms. Fluffy  / Belle is looking the same way Ms. Siren did last week and instead of waiting a day for the appointment, Art is gonna take her today.  It would be really tough to lose both of them within a week.

Damn dude, I really hate to hear that, I'll keep Belle and you guys in my thoughts. My sister went through a really rough run losing several pets in a short time span a couple of years ago so I've seen how hard that can be. I hope the vet will be able to give some good news at least in the sense of being able to fix whatever is ailing Belle.

Ms. Fluffy took her  last breaths on the vet's table.  Man that was tough.  He thinks what we actually saw might have happened because of some kidney failure.  We are probably going to take our 3rd cat, Ms. Paws, to the vet soon to get her tested even though he hasn't exhibited any of the symptoms physically or otherwise they other two did.

Edited by purple_beard