Farewell to Ash Ketchum and Pikachu

I haven't watched the anime since it was on Kids WB, but as someone who has watched the anime from the start, back when the PKMN craze first hit the U.S., this is really sad to hear. T_T  Though, this would make since, because come to find out Ash became a PKMN World Champion in the most recent series. I'll never forget that first episode when at first Pikachu was a little shit and hated Ash. :D 

Farewell Ash and Pikachu!!!

tumblr_mcz01c1vft1rhptbio7_r1_250.gifvpika-cry.gif

May you always be best buddies! ^_^

pokemon-ash.gif 

• Chrom featured this topic

Never really watched it much outside of the original series because my brother was a big fan of the show and card game. Back in the day when we only had 1 TV and little brother got first dibs on it until my Dad came home later that night. I often remind him that he was a fan before me when he says, “that is so effing gay!” He never really liked video games much so the special edition Pikachu GBC he got with Blue, Red, and later on Yellow which ended up getting played mostly by me. I never watched the Anime after that outside of a few movies that I just so happened to see with friends. Still, it is sad but I am surprised they didn’t retire him after 5 years. 

Dropped off the series at some point into the Hoenn journey way back when.  Even so, it's still bittersweet to see this journey finally coming to an end and a new one starting.  I don't know that I'll watch the new series but I'm looking forward to seeing the direction the anime goes in from here on out!

I forgot until recently that I was 10 in 1997, which was also the year that the Pokemon anime debuted in Japan… Which makes Ash a millennial as old as me, except he never aged past the first episode.

Not that he was the only one. Team Rocket stayed in their 20’s for like forever, though not as many cared to notice since they were already adults.

The anime was the first aspect of Pokemon I stopped following ages ago though; after Hoenn I believe.

Huh, intriguing. At least 2 who have posted here stopped watching the anime when Ash made it to Hoenn. This is just guessimate but I assume all of us were in our mid teens by that point? (Also, half way thru Hoenn, Veronica Taylor no longer did Ash voice and it was someone else, I forget her name. Man, she sucked at first but when I came back for X&Y she sounded much better) For me I stopped watching during the diamond and pearl (coincidentally where temporarily fell off with the mainline games too)

B&W off and on (Good reason, it was trash I heard) I return to Pokemon mainline games and anime with gen 6, worth till anime made Ash lose the finals in the Pokemon league to a Pokemon he should of been super-effective. The ironic thing is his semi final fight, he won at disadvantage type but that's nothing new with Ash but why make him win at disadvantage only to lose when there was advantage in the final match?

Didn't even watch Sun and Moon and for this season that is ending only watched the episodes Ash fought against previous companions and up to the final 8 champions. Rest I didn't watch that season or gen for.  

As for what's next, no offense to the new protags but I feel there will be massive drop-off. It just won't be the same without Ash & Pikachu not matter how we lament the anime as we grew up but we all watched this growing up. I will as I said watch the last few episodes leading to the new gen season of Pokemon to cap of Ash's journey's end.

I never thought the day would come when Ash and Pikachu would be leaving. I basically grew up with them. I did think a long while back that maybe they should have considered having someone new to be the lead but since it has been Ash for so long I gave up on it and now he achieved his dream on being the best there is. Becoming Champion of Alola region and then becoming the best of the best. Very curious how the two new protagonists will be like but at least we know the new girl will be battler.

Some Pokemon theme songs that highlight Ash's overconfidence.

Honestly my fave of the anime gen (mostly because to me the best travelling buddies Ash every had, that includes Bonnie so much better than May's brother Max. Also the battles and the adventures here were the coolest) but love this song the most, tho this version here is a slight remix of the original TV theme. This is the version that plays in one of the movies that release in this anime gen. Not much better than the original but well appreciate the subtle changes.

Bonus one:

Not as strong as the other 2 above but has hints of confidence too, tho it has it slow moments at the start and near the end. (The slow moments is Serena's theme playing)

• 1 month later...

I've been keeping up with the Japanese version of the anime...  Maybe if they'd start having one episode a week instead of these multiple Netflix batches every few months I'd be willing to consider the dub again too...  But even after all of this time, it's still not the same without the 4Kids cast.