Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has five battle modes, new amiibo outfits

Chrom

Nintendo Poland apparently posted all of this.

C2thSH5WgAAmskg.jpg

Shine Thief (?), Coin Runners, Balloon Battle, Bob-omb Blast, and something involving Piranha Plants

h5Xmeu2l.jpg

COyOh64l.jpg

uSPeS5wl.jpg

4ohzDCfl.jpg

Inkling Girl and Isabelle are entirely new, that might be it. Presumably you can use all other amiibo that were originally compatible with the original Mario Kart 8 as well.

Oh and yes Miis are still in the game in case there's anyone who doesn't know.

Nice to see more battle mode options. I'm gonna make a guess and say the piranha plant mode is going to be a battle mode where everyone has a piranha plant in front of them the whole time while still using other items maybe? 

Also I believe that the costume Isabelle gives was in Mario Kart 8 already, but was only unlocked with Villager at the time. That might have changed when the other Animal Crossing amiibo came out though. So I want to say the only real new one is the Inkling costume. 

Pretty nice find Chrom.

edit: I just realized in the picture where they show the amiibo next to the Miis in costumes, they have a second Yoshi amiibo next to the Mii in the Mario outfit. So this picture is photoshopped wrong.

Edited by The Albraskan
Avoiding double post.

Yoshi netting a Mario costume?

Old Kirby gets 1 version, New Kirby gets a modified one?

* Same with Link

*Same w' Villager? ... helmets look the same but the dress...

TOTALLY FEELING THE SPLATOON set with the BMX look

Forgot about Shine Thief.... that mode was actuall fun ..I believe the last one with the shine wins....

I wonder what Piranha Plants could do?

FWIW:

maxresdefault.jpg

Complete original set...

IMO

TOPS: Pac Man, Bowser, Samus, Captain Falcon, Star Fox

TRASH: DK and Yoshi

Edited by purple_beard
1 hour ago, The Albraskan said:

Nice to see more battle mode options. I'm gonna make a guess and say the piranha plant mode is going to be a battle mode where everyone has a piranha plant in front of them the whole time while still using other items maybe?

My first thought was something like hungry hungry hippos where you try to feed your piranha plant the most objects/coins/whatever. That'd be pretty similar to coin runners though, I suppose.

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There'd have to be a sale for me to re buy, as I already have the game and the extras that came with it. The new stuff isn't really much of an incentive for me to pay full price again.

I'm on the same boat. Unless I had the pre-ordered the Switch, and if the games they showed so far around launch were the only games they have for the launch period, then I might.

But it would have ultimately been better to just put more time into working on a Mario Kart 9 over fixing Mario Kart 8's battle mode along with some more characters to repackage it for a new system.

2 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

I'm on the same boat. Unless I had the pre-ordered the Switch, and if the games they showed so far around launch were the only games they have for the launch period, then I might.

But it would have ultimately been better to just put more time into working on a Mario Kart 9 over fixing Mario Kart 8's battle mode along with some more characters to repackage it for a new system.

My lone thought on this is though, that based on the timing, this would have been the timing for the successor to MK7 on a portable system, not the time to have the next game be the console sequel.

Now I love me some MK8 but MK8DLX really needs to have some sort of DLC plan for future additions to the core game, because I already have MK8...  and buying it over again for battle mode only $60 is a steep barrier to entry to me.

Well, like I mentioned in the chat this past Thursday. My way of justifying buying Mario Kart 8 again, besides all the extra bells and whistles and stronger hardware, is that it's going to portable, which is pretty damn sweet. And since I effectively payed forty extra dollars to play Smash Bros on the go, with vastly inferior graphics to the home console version by the way. Paying $60 for not only a superior version to the one I own now, in terms of frame rate, but a portable version that will be equal to the home version in every regard, and include a plethora of bonuses that would easily equate to $20 in DLC? I'm really okay that. Of course, I can remember a time before DLC, when everytime they made a couple of characters you had to buy the game again. Hi, Street Fighter 2. So I may just be more open to the idea. My only problem is getting the funds together. $420 for the Switch, Mario Kart 8, and Breath of the Wild? Ouch...

Edited by Marxforever