The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Now avail. to own! |📽️🍄SMB Movie 2 - April 3rd, 2026

2 hours ago, Igneous42 said:

Pratt's whole section in the direct was just weird. And I'm not trying to hate on him or anything I have no problem with him as an actor, but it felt like he was either out of it or just phoning it in. The dichotomy between his part and Jack Black's was really noticable. 

Pretty pleased with the trailer overall though. Kinda following the popular opinion, Black as Bowser is great, the visuals and style are phenomenal and Chris Pratt provides his best Chris Pratt voice. I can understand why they didn't use the actual Mario voice. A 90+ minute movie with that sort of voice would honestly probably get grating. But I do hope as we see more there is a bit more to it.

I need to hear him say more before I judge Mario's voice.

But I do agree that the Chris Pratt segment came off kind of weird--like something was weird about it.

But yeah, Black nailed Bowser....

I didn't noticed till this vid that Mario and rewatching the teaser that Mario and Luigi are wearing collared sweaters. I thought them having laces in their boots and their gloves looking like a piece is cutaway from the top was weird but this really make them feel like they come from a real world. The center pocket on the overall was subtle change as well too.

Yep, the internet indeed. We fall where fall but I am not most folks in most trapping of opinions of one extreme to another. I am with this guy, I had no expectations in how Mario will sound so I neither underwhelmed or overwhelmed but whelmed. Also, makes a good point with Tom Holland playing American boy from Queens, it shouldn't necessarily matter who plays someone from another country in how they sound, as long as they are conceivable sure they don't ave to be perfect or spot on. So I don't know how one aspect or another shaped ppl expectations for the better or worse. It is what it is.

• Chrom featured this topic

I hate how every big animated move has to have celebrates as the main cast (Thanks, Hollywood! >_>).  I get how Mario's voice as we know it wouldn't be the best for an hour and a half movie, but I feel like they still could have gotten Charles Martinet to do the voice and just have him tone down the "Mario-ness" of it (same for Luigi). They could have worked with him to find a voice that would have been suitable for Mario/Luigi talking throughout an entire move. I kind of agree with Tara Strong and it's kind of an F.U. to Charles Martinet. You're the voice of well know characters and its franchise is finally getting its big brake to really go mainstream and you don't get to voice any of those characters....? kcry;  Normal acting and voice acting, while still both acting, are two different things. Just because you're an actor doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at voice acting. It's just sad that voice actors don't always get the respect they deserve and that Hollywood thinks of voice actors as not being "real" actors. Well, at least Charles Martinet will be in the movie as "surprise" roles.

Edited by alienboyva

Honestly, I am indifferent to how Mario sounds in the Super Mario Bros. Movie and who's voicing him. Sounds callus to say but before 1996, Mario never had a voice, I get for over 25 years those who know, who play Mario before or after that year sort of built this a way Mario should sound. Sort like those who don't want t Link to speak sort of thing.

At the end of the day and what we know about Mario and this movie, I can't say for sure on either extreme that we heard enough for or against Mario's voice. So it could be better or it could be worse, I am not gonna throw a fit when it doesn't go. (well maybe a little) Mario is the only video game character VA have remained the same since its inception, it's hard to shake that no matter how ppl think otherwise or won't work for a feature length movie. That aside, casting a famous Hollywood actor isn't always the answer, I agree but again we got too little to say otherwise. So I want to when given the opportunity to give this the benefit of the doubt for now till we see the full product. It's all well in good to voice our opinions but that's all they are and not facts, orders or recommendations.

As for Charles Martinet so change his voice for Mario for the Mario Bros movie is a option as he's a talent VA and has a lot of range but what's done is done. The only exception to that is VA that voice Tails in Sonic games and VA that voices Dr. Eggman in the games are the exception that voice beyond games for a lengthy amount of time. Why an exception was made there and not here? Life is stranger than fiction to ask such a question and something have to excepts things even if it doesn't makes sense or you like it.

I agree they must reference that somehow in the movie but go as far as not watching, nah.

Also, if there's folks who don't want to see more of a movie with trailers, they won't know, there's also chance it might not show up in trailers either. So again won't know if it's there, something like that to me has to be shown in trailer I suppose but it's not that I think it won't be in the movie that I wouldn't watch but odds are not every Super Mario reference meme or not will not make it in

• 1 month later...
  • alienboyva changed the title to The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Only In Theaters April 7 |📽️👑 Peach Trailer Released!

All i have to say is that the new stuff shown makes me think they are going to incorporate EVERYTHING MARIO gaming related into the movie somehow.

I wonder if how this movies graphics applied to the Mario universe get Nintendo to upgrade their own graphics because I think people will want more seeing how good they can look...granted movie versus video game but...

I haven't looked beyond this trailer for the reception online but I will say this, with every peek at this movie, this is getting better and better. And I was one of the few that thought nothing was wrong per se with the first trailer.

Peach sounds great. Like the first trailer with Mario, we didn't hear much of DK, (if you count grunts) I can see the original look of DK from back in the day. From the brief scene of Cranky Kong he looks like he usually looks like but he came about in the Country series unlike the DK look we stuck with since Country. Hearing more from Luigi, he sounds great too.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought i posted before, but i forgor and whatever i had 

previous trailer was quite nice - I can’t say i mind Anna as Peach - Luigi doesn’t sound too bad either

Unfortunate we didn’t hear D.K. talk, but hopefully we’ll hear him in another trailer or clip

Aldo nice to see some  Kongs return after awhile in an animated form - and more Kongs in general is nice to see - also nice to see it confirmed that Yoshi’s are in, but I suppose it would have been expected 

And nice to see some other elements like Karts and Rainbow Road implemented 

_________

Also new clip popped up

Really liking the music so far

Hopefully they’ll release a full soundtrack after the movie comes out on streaming services