Pokemon SV Discussion

EH_STEVE

I concur and is the consensus once the sort of knee jerk reaction to Pokemon S/V as a video game really says about itself.

Tho, I have yet to beat it, still taking my sweet time getting thru this game, I knew from my first few hrs (sort of similar to Legends Arceus in a different way) that this Pokemon gen is the best gameplay experience for me since gen 5. Gen 2 and 5 are my fave gens. If it wasn't for the obvious Cufant in the room in that is the performance and bugs, this would be a high 80's metacritic score at least.

It is said and you are not alone so I don't think there's no flak saying the gods honest truth of this game.

50 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I concur and is the consensus once the sort of knee jerk reaction to Pokemon S/V as a video game really says about itself.

Tho, I have yet to beat it, still taking my sweet time getting thru this game, I knew from my first few hrs (sort of similar to Legends Arceus in a different way) that this Pokemon gen is the best gameplay experience for me since gen 5. Gen 2 and 5 are my fave gens. If it wasn't for the obvious Cufant in the room in that is the performance and bugs, this would be a high 80's metacritic score at least.

It is said and you are not alone so I don't think there's no flak saying the gods honest truth of this game.

Eh, there is some stuff of the gameplay I feel like is either redundant or unnecessary. That being the university itself (I have no idea what the lessons reward the player with; BUT: I am not a kid, and actually playing the game than just doing schoolwork is how I grew up with the series; AND, it's not really mandatory like Three Houses); and the picnic. Also, some of these evolution methods are stupid and/or just really horribly specific. I'm getting some Poke'mon to walk around 1000 steps, and they evolve after leveling up. (I swear my Pawmi does NOT want to evolve, even after about an hour of going in a loop.) The specific moves are just whatever, but the specific items and materials are hot garbage.  

Then, there's auto-battling, which is hit and miss. A hit for wanting to do other stuff, but the cost of lower XP is criminally insane. Which goes hand in hand of HOW SLOW ACTUAL BATTLES ARE NOW. There's no win-win there. It's like the developers planned it out.   

Also, there is no level scaling, which is confounding as all heck. It felt like that was teased during most of the trailers. ... Really annoying for Day 1 Nuzlockers, including me.

It's cool the wild Poke'mon are just like those in Legends Arceus, it's open world finally TO A POINT, and I'm honestly fine with the Tera stuff. But, some of this stuff needed to be fine-tuned or just put in the trash

Combat-wise, it is fine... expect for the actual speed of the game. Why can't I just turn off animations and have faster texting speed when I'm off-line?! Grrrrrrr.... 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
1 hour ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Eh, there is some stuff of the gameplay I feel like is either redundant or unnecessary. That being the university itself (I have no idea what the lessons reward the player with; BUT: I am not a kid, and actually playing the game than just doing schoolwork is how I grew up with the series; AND, it's not really mandatory like Three Houses); and the picnic. Also, some of these evolution methods are stupid and/or just really horribly specific. I'm getting some Poke'mon to walk around 1000 steps, and they evolve after leveling up. (I swear my Pawmi does NOT want to evolve, even after about an hour of going in a loop.) The specific moves are just whatever, but the specific items and materials are hot garbage.  

Then, there's auto-battling, which is hit and miss. A hit for wanting to do other stuff, but the cost of lower XP is criminally insane. Which goes hand in hand of HOW SLOW ACTUAL BATTLES ARE NOW. There's no win-win there. It's like the developers planned it out.   

Also, there is no level scaling, which is confounding as all heck. It felt like that was teased during most of the trailers. ... Really annoying for Day 1 Nuzlockers, including me.

It's cool the wild Poke'mon are just like those in Legends Arceus, it's open world finally TO A POINT, and I'm honestly fine with the Tera stuff. But, some of this stuff needed to be fine-tuned or just put in the trash

Combat-wise, it is fine... expect for the actual speed of the game. Why can't I just turn off animations and have faster texting speed when I'm off-line?! Grrrrrrr.... 

For the Pawmi thing I get at least for that after you do the 1000 steps, why doesn't it evolve right after and not levelling up? But I guess that defeats the purpose the most Pokemon no matter how convoluted evolve thru levelling up and they wanted to keep that intact somehow? I dunno not excusable for the lack of clarity, I was wondering what else to do and saw that oh , you just level him after 1000 steps, okay?

Going back to Legends Arceus, they did partner Pokemon battle good there. (I feel because the purpose of that game was to catch so that is why that feels so much better than S/V, that and Pokemon there just take you to a battle screen, not a automated thing in S/V) I concur with the EXP, to an extent, that extent is that if you receive the same amount EXP or close. There would be no point of doing regular battle of Pokemon or the avoidable Pokemon trainer battles. Auto battle means to and was for Pokemon drops, as you can rack up lot so they had to cut the EXP for some sort of balance. Again, different Legends Arcues where you got Pokemon drops from Pokemon and plant life. You even got experience based on the region your in, you get more. Honestly, they should of gave us half the experience you get based on your Pokemon level, you would normally get based on full Pokemon battles, not some measly less than quarter experience every single time and your Pokemon level. Waste of time for sure there.

P.S. on slow battles with how they did Tera Raid battle to have everyone battle at the same time, I think that is why they took out set battles and took the option to turn off battle animations. Regardless how any feels on either, the option should always be the players choice to make, not for us. So yeah, that doesn't help what already feels like somewhat slowed down game in battle flow.

All in all, like this gen itself you can't fully praise it without bringing up a caveat every time for the good it brings. (outside the obviously performance and bug issues)

Like art, this experience is subjective in what enjoyment you value from this gen from the glaring issues and what seems to be rushed decisions not fully baked. Because if they were with good to great performance and bug-free, I have no doubt as I said this game would of been a high 80's metacritic score.

Finally beaten all titan beasts. The last one for me was on the lake.

I was aware before and even after the recent patch, that place performs the worst but you don't truly know how bad till you experience it yourself. Sheeeesh!

That is the worst area to be in the game so far to me, why didn't anyone tell me it is that bad there, huh?!? It even worse some how battle Pokemon on the lake there and most of time battle run a little smoother than the game anywhere so when I saw battle moving slower than usual on the lake, that was a huge yikes moment for me. I really think this last patch has the game going on some unlocked framerate. Similar to what I saw on the Gamexplain vid post recent patch it is smooth for bit than slows down again similar to pre recent patch. Like what the heck, man?!?

Gonna tackle another gym then Star boss and I should be almost done to proceed to the end of the game.

5 titans, 5 gyms and 3 star bosses down so far.

18 hours ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Rare candy is a thing.

As much as back in my youth I really liked using those, I know there's a "cost" to using them and the EXP candies. I just want to level my Poke'mon up... a more rewarding way? I don't know what you'd call that. Plus, I haven't checked if the 1000 Step Poke'mon can evolve by such a method. I only evolved them by making them by battle while roaming after doing the 1000 steps. I finally know of maybe the only method, but it could've been more simple.   

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
3 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

And then there's Tandemaus, which after a certain level they just have babies and evolve. They don't need to level up once they minimum and can even evolve while in a Box.

I actually loved this because I put them in a Box, and I never got a notification when they evolved. It was the weirdest but funniest thing by far. But, I'm guessing someone knows of one of the big forbidden books out there. ... Or is it unbanned?... Never thought I'd see Poke'mon reference a book about the Holocaust. 

5 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

As much as back in my youth I really liked using those, I know there's a "cost" to using them and the EXP candies. Plus, I haven't checked if the 1000 Step Poke'mon can evolve by such a method. I only evolved them by making them by battle while roaming after doing the 1000 steps. I finally know of maybe the only method, but it could've been more simple.   

I know this line of thinking, the method to evolve said monster is obtuse so maybe how to level is just as obtuse, right?

You never know till ya try, right? Don't write off what you don't think will work if you haven't tried yet.

Then again, this goes back to how back and forth this game overall, it is not cohesive in which things can be done. A obvious fault but nothing to me that is throwing up arms for. To each their own. It goes back to subjectivity and what you will enjoy of this game over what don't ratio wise. 

Though to bring this up as I was recently reminded of this when I continued my save from the lake. The more, the more I see the region of Paldea, the more I see this place is barely holding it together optimal and performance wise. I guess I never save in water before, as when I started the game not like the invisible vehicles but literally dropping in the water as my legendary comes out like I was was diving in.

Also, another observation I noticed for a while to that points to such bad memory leaks to this game, despite it remembering much as it can, why can't it remember the meal effects where you last left off minutes wise. There has been times I sure I still had 20 minutes left and when I start the game back, no time left but remembers almost everything else.

It just occurred to me, the lack of top and bottom clothes customization, (the school uniform) GF thought oh you can choose any hairstyle of any sex and change the shape of your, eyes, eyebrow and mouth will counter what we took away in changing clothes overall for the last 3 gens.

That it said at the beginning of the game your uniform has to be on at all times. Man, they took that rule seriously, huh?

On 12/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, DLurkster said:

It just occurred to me, the lack of top and bottom clothes customization, (the school uniform) GF thought oh you can choose any hairstyle of any sex and change the shape of your, eyes, eyebrow and mouth will counter what we took away in changing clothes overall for the last 3 gens.

That it said at the beginning of the game your uniform has to be on at all times. Man, they took that rule seriously, huh?

They should've made it ditchable for postgame. Like, after you finish exams and the story, you should be able to change out of your uniform

15 minutes ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Whats a good sandwich for making eggs appear?   Got pissed when multiple mons didnt make ditto put out for over 10 mins.....

I pop into a picnic and use the "Great Peanut Butter Sandwich" Recipe (#17) as it's low in ingredients and gives Egg Power Level 2. Then I wash my Ditto and whoever its breeding with, then toss the ball out and wait at the basket, checking every minute or so. The basket can hold 10 Eggs at a time and they go directly into your Box (not onto your team!) so you can set it and forget it if you want.