Pokemon SV Discussion

EH_STEVE

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Also, random-ish, what the fuck was the point in having a dorm when you CAN'T EVEN DECORATE IT?! There's like, two conversations there, that's it.

I have been wondering this as well....what is the point of the dorm if cannot decorate. The only thing you really decorate in this game is the picnic table. Cause you sure cannot decorate yourself fully.

For every good thing with this game  there sure are some head scratching thing like this that makes you wonder that they rush this out the door.

5 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I have been wondering this as well....what is the point of the dorm if cannot decorate. The only thing you really decorate in this game is the picnic table. Cause you sure cannot decorate yourself fully.

For every good thing with this game  there sure are some head scratching thing like this that makes you wonder that they rush this out the door.

Agreed. I get that we're in school and all, but there's not enough clothing customization. Even adding some more post-game would be nice. And personally, I see ZERO point in decorating my picnic table...

Played the new patch and I think I am placeboing again. Played a short time but I swear this game is playing at a unlocked framerate now. I there's was a moment with my legendary and it was smoothie fucking and like 30 seconds later, it is back to it's random stuttering frame drops all of the sudden. It's to soon to assume they worked on performance issues or at all so again a placebo effect. Other than when I think it is the smoothest, still the usual random stutters and struggling to reach 30 at anytime. Also, clipping seem to be gone, maybe?

Quest update: 4 badges, 4 titans and 3 bosses. Going to a gym, when prior was adding another boss and titan in the same area. Now I don't if I want to go to gym near where I am now or to the other side? I'm leaning to the other side, not dying to see what's out there but curious of the experience I will have out there. That and it seems I'm secretly avoiding it for some reason, lol.

Edited by DLurkster

After getting through 4 Titans and beating Katy, I'm now going through a reverse Gym challenge and have currently beat both Grusha and Tulip. Tulip seemed much more formidable than Grusha as she brought me down to my last two Pokemon. I really only had my Scovillain and Lokix as answers for her, and they will both be carrying the load again at my next Gym. Overall, having a lot of fun with Pokemon Scarlet in spite of its technical issues. My favorite Pokemon from this generation as of right now would be Scovillain. 

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Got my Charizard the Unrivaled. Holy Tera-lag Batman. We drained his health like 4 times but it would blip back a little every time. Feature or bug?

Also bred like 25 Charmanders lol

What did you use against it? Do pokemon need to be lvl 100 to fight it?  Fire starter around low 80s.

1 minute ago, Art_de_Cat said:

What did you use against it? Do pokemon need to be lvl 100 to fight it?  Fire starter around low 80s.

Yeah, you kinda do. There's a cheese method to use against him, but even that is still hard.

I used Level 100 Azumarill with Huge Power ability, Belly Drum and Play Rough.

14 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Played the new patch and I think I am placeboing again. Played a short time but I swear this game is playing at a unlocked framerate now. I there's was a moment with my legendary and it was smoothie fucking and like 30 seconds later, it is back to it's random stuttering frame drops all of the sudden. It's to soon to assume they worked on performance issues or at all so again a placebo effect. Other than when I think it is the smoothest, still the usual random stutters and struggling to reach 30 at anytime. Also, clipping seem to be gone, maybe?

Is it a placebo effect?

I beat this game. 

I am honestly confused about this game. There are some things I really like about this game, and some things I don't: 

The good-   

Spoiler

The story. No, really. Even if the League stuff was formulaic, I enjoyed the Team Star stuff, and the Titan stuff.

Arven. He's not a total jerk.

Penny. YES THAT BAG.   

A lot of the characters and their designs. Same goes for the Poke'mon. 

The world itself. So much to do. 

Some of the music and how it's dynamic. 

The open-world design. 

The ridable legendaries. 

Some of the gyms and their challenges.

How Team Star's battles went. And Team Star. Usually you're supposed to hate these guys... I think this is the first time I liked a sympathetic Team. 

Poke'Centers and Poke'Marts everywhere.

The TM machine?  

The Terawhatever battle mechanic. 

The Titans and Paradox Poke'mon.

The new raids.  

The bad- 

Spoiler

How the story required the player to beat all the paths to get to the ending. I wish that was clearer. 

The performance issues, glitches, and bugs.  

The world might seem a little less cohesive.  

The Elite Four and Top Champion music SUCK. 

There's NO LEVEL SCALING, WHICH LED TO A WEIRD NUZLOCKE FOR ME. 

Auto-battling, maybe.  

How Team Star's battles forced the player to beat a gym. 

Some of the conventions of this game still felt more archaic. 

The TM machine? 

Picnics. 

School. 

The Titans. 

Not sure how I truly feel about it yet. 

Never trying a reverse hard Nuzlocke ever again. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
12 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

I beat this game. 

I am honestly confused about this game. There are some things I really like about this game, and some things I don't: 

The good-   

Hide contents

The story. No, really. Even if the League stuff was formulaic, I enjoyed the Team Star stuff, and the Titan stuff.

Arven. He's not a total jerk.

Penny. YES THAT BAG.   

A lot of the characters and their designs. Same goes for the Poke'mon. 

The world itself. So much to do. 

Some of the music and how it's dynamic. 

The open-world design. 

The ridable legendaries. 

Some of the gyms and their challenges.

How Team Star's battles went. And Team Star. Usually you're supposed to hate these guys... I think this is the first time I liked a sympathetic Team. 

Poke'Centers and Poke'Marts everywhere.

The TM machine?  

The Terawhatever battle mechanic. 

The Titans and Paradox Poke'mon.

The new raids.  

The bad- 

Hide contents

How the story required the player to beat all the paths to get to the ending. I wish that was clearer. 

The performance issues, glitches, and bugs.  

The world might seem a little less cohesive.  

The Elite Four and Top Champion music SUCK. 

There's NO LEVEL SCALING, WHICH LED TO A WEIRD NUZLOCKE FOR ME. 

Auto-battling, maybe.  

How Team Star's battles forced the player to beat a gym. 

Some of the conventions of this game still felt more archaic. 

The TM machine? 

Picnics. 

School. 

The Titans. 

Not sure how I truly feel about it yet. 

Never trying a reverse hard Nuzlocke ever again. 

I hated the Gym tests...

1 hour ago, Art_de_Cat said:

FYI- Going on a stroll with Rellor to evolve it was WAY more amusing than it should have been.  Just watching it try to keep up while rolling it's "mud" ball.....the memories will last a lifetime.

It was meh for me, tbh but do see how that can appeal to some.

Just love its evolved form, tho.

Okay, but why does that also have to be with Pawmi and the Balwmi or whatever? 

There are plenty of dog Poke'mon in this games, why does the Electric/Fighting have to be a walking evo too? Is it losing carbs? As for the tumbling grass thing... What? It is because it likes to roll around? Just give them a Thunder Stone and Leaf Stone respectively. 

Granted, there are some evolutions I hate because of their conditions.   

As for the gym test thing-

Spoiler

My least to most favorite- 

Katy. The olive one. What do olives have to do with bugs? Sure, it's not bugged or anything, but just nonsensical. And, it's not like you have to battle the trainers to reach the goal. What? And, Katy makes sweets. Shouldn't she be the Fairy Trainer if that one guy didn't steal her role? Her round one Poke'mon suck, and, I don't like her Tera Poke'mon.      

Grusha. A sleigh ride. With no battles. I was a little disappointed with her round one Poke'mon, and kind of don't like her Tera Poke'mon.  

Brassius. Hide And Seek with Sunflora. There's only like one battle here, against a Sunflora, and that feels really weird. What is Brassius anyways? A ninja that likes Grass Poke'mon? His round one Poke'mon are whatever, but at least his Tera Poke'mon makes sense. Also, AVANT GARDE!... ?  

Kofu. Going to another town to give the Gym Leader their wallet. Then do an auction. I think there's only one battle here before the auction. Then, you have to go back to the gym in the other town. It's like Jasmine's challenge, but worse? At least he's a lovable goof, his round one Poke'mon are unique (even if I have some hatred for Veluza), and his Tera Poke'mon makes sense. 

Iono. Hide and Seek with Director Clavell. Okay, so this one basically borrows from Brassius, but using the security cameras to find him was ingenious. It makes me wonder if the whole city is under a weird Russian-like state though, if Iono has access to the cameras. And, she forces you to battle her trainers too. I know he gets smack talked because of her Poke'tuber design, but she's harmless. Her YouTube short made her and her ace Poke'mon stand out, her round one Poke'mon are okay, but I don't get her Tera Poke'mon.

Rhyme. Double battle/rap battle. Genuinely shocked that we finally got a double battle gym five generations later, and even the Gym Leader does that too. (I know Raihan's technically was a double battle too, but I don't remember if his gym was all double battles.) Not sure what rapping has to do with Ghost-Poke'mon, but I kind of liked the vibes. The gimmick is cool too. I'm not sure if I'm down with her round one choices, and I'm on the fence with the Tera Poke'mon.  

Tulip. Yoga? The challenge itself seems to go on for too long, but the mandatory battles are fine. I don't think I like Tulip's attitude though. But, her round one Poke'mon and Tera Poke'mon makes sense.  

Larry. Find the secret menu. I love that it's optional that you can guess and don't have to battle the trainers to get the recipe. BUT, I kind of like finding the secret menu. Plus, I really like Larry's vibes. He's just a normal, ordinary guy, who is just a Gym Leader for business. Sure, it seems counterproductive, but if you were a guy in his position, can you blame him?! Plus, his gym also doubles as a place to chance Tera-types. And, he's secretly an Elite Four too. His round one Poke'mon match his style, even if his Tera Poke'mon is whatever.   

Yeah, some of them are hit and miss, but it's not like they didn't try.   

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Elite Four and Champion.

Spoiler

None of them have a style that outright says what Poke'mon they use, making them the worst in that regard. Although, that's because I was over-prepared by doing a different Nuzlocke challenge. Also, as a long time fan of Poke'mon, and since I got most of the Tera evolutions (except for Baxcalibur), I knew how to take them down. Plus, unlike the Gym Leaders, the Tera Poke'mon correspond with one of their original typings anyways. They weren't a threat compared to some of the gym leaders. Except for Kingambit, I knew how to take down even the Top Champion. And their last Poke'mon Teras into... Rock?  

Wait... *checks* The Elite Four are just there because the Titan Poke'mon, Flying, Rock, Steel, Ground, and Dragon, had to be reused in terms of typing. And, the Top Champion had to go with Rock to make things seemingly to fit that.  

At least the rival puts up some of a challenge. Though, I wish her Goodra was replaced with another Gen 8 Poke'mon, like the devistating Tatsugiri. Don't sleep on it. Tatsugiri is a low-key nightmare.    

Still, the post-game is kind of interesting. 

Spoiler

The rematches with the Gym Leaders is kind of cool.  

Though, now they're scaled to Champion level! I learned that the hard way when facing Tulip again. She got a Gallade now! 

6 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I hated the Gym tests...

Hate is a strong word in this context for me. Some of the test were more like a really to annoying.

Akin them to the trials in gen 7 but to me those were done better.

It seems every odd gen from 7, gym will come with odd tests before you officially tackle them. While even gens might not have tests before gyms. There were some tests for gen 8, the first one that comes to mind is herding those wooloo.  

So hit and miss in execution and if a gen will have tests, lol.

After looking over the Generations that came before this... I'm going to get soooo much flak for this... But... 

I genuinely think Generation IX is the best Generation since Generation II? There are of course things Gen III-VIII did better than Gen IX. And there are a lot of things Gen IX stumbles on... BUT, I think it's better than the rest because of its narrative design, even if it's handled clunky.  

It's bold for me to say it, but after processing my thoughts on this, I think I'll let my review of this Generation in the Video Games Defeated in 2022 speak for me. Still, if it wasn't for how rushed this Generation was, I could've said with a definitive answer it's my favorite Generation. (It doesn't come close to Generations I & II for me and their remakes. They hold a lot of nostalgia for me.) 

Maybe my opinion will change a few years later. It happened with Generations III, IV, V.5, and even VII.