Pokemon SV Discussion

EH_STEVE

Though I’m not going to be able to pick it up off the Eshop this week, should be able to do it next week when I’m home

But plan on going with the Grass starter myself- can always trade for the other two in the end anyway 

Not sure how soon or easily I’d be able to do that, though 

I’ve been avoiding leaks to  the best of my ability, though it’s not been easy…..

I’ve come close to seeing a snippet or two though… 

Edited by Shadow118

Beyond the tutorial of the game, which is about an hour or so and is the worst start I've had with any game I've had anticipation for on the Switch...Pokemon Scarlet is turning out to be a great time in spite of its flaws in presentation. It remains great in core mechanics, character design and in Pokemon design, so while there's plenty I could be negative about I'm personally not having a negative experience overall. I consider it a great sign that I played until my Switch died while watching @TKrazyO's stream. Normally, I would cut my session with a game short and let my Switch charge docked for a bit, but Scarlet kept me hooked as I didn't want to put the game down once it opened up. If Nintendo does an end of year stats log like they did last year, I wouldn't be surprised if 11/19 or 11/20 is the day I played the Switch the most with Pokemon Scarlet being the main game.  

I've been trying to keep myself free from being spoiled too much, but pretty difficult - almost seen snippets of things here and there

But from what i've heard and little clips i've seen on twitter seems like it's a bit buggy and glitchy here and there - i don't think anything game breaking, but i'm not 100% sure on that completely

But hopefully there's some patches being worked on - though part of me feels like the games should have been ironed out a bit more before release

Also heard some overworld abilities were nerfed,Pokerus was unfortunately removed (though not a deal breaker) and theres a lack of outfit customization - which  some decisions is confusing and questionable slightly

But i'm still most likely going to get the game regardless - maybe i'll be lucky enough not too many bugs or glitches myself

Other than seeing a couple trailers and the leaked starter final forms, I've been spoiler-free, so skipping over the current convo to this:

Random thoughts, etc:

- Went with Water, got to its final form, fucking hate it, swapped out of my team. First time I've ever ditched a starter. Too fucking annoying.

- Got all Herbs, 3 gyms, 2 bosses

- Gyms REALLY need fucking scaling... like holy shit. Went East at first and played a bunch, then when I decided to go West, the first gym I encountered was fucking pathetic

- Needs Arceus-style catching

- Needs Arceus-style non-trainer battling - Multiple enemies in Wild, Agile/Strong style, swapping Pokemon on map and in battle

- Needs Arceus crafting

- Why the fuck when I open my map does it not show what direction I'm looking?

- Faster dex scrolling

- Custom map markers, I come across stuff I want to revisit (may the map gets updated and I'm not there yet?)

- Took me an embarrassing amount of time to get Auto-Battle working... I was pressing the wrong button...

- Holy shit the size of the dex!

- Remembering moves is great, buuuut again, Arceus did it better

- Was hoping for a few Arceus-style sidequests....

- The world is massive, I get sidetracked all the time just exploring

- Love a lot of the new mons and region variants, trying to keep a new team without using previous appearances, made one exception

So I no-life beat the story and got to the credits and I’m in post game. I won’t post any spoilers since the games not even a week old yet. 

I know the internet is in an uproar about the game’s graphics and performance, but it didn’t heavily impact my gameplay or really upset me enough to make me stop playing. There was only one area I could recall where the game slowed down really bad. However the game never crashed. I have no idea how playing with others locally or online will affect the game’s performance since I haven’t tried connecting to any friends yet. For reference I have played this in docked mode on a Switch that I’ve had since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe came out.

I could try and go on about more of the graphical issues, but its most likely already covered better in other sources.

9 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Other than seeing a couple trailers and the leaked starter final forms, I've been spoiler-free, so skipping over the current convo to this:

Random thoughts, etc:

- Went with Water, got to its final form, fucking hate it, swapped out of my team. First time I've ever ditched a starter. Too fucking annoying.

- Got all Herbs, 3 gyms, 2 bosses

- Gyms REALLY need fucking scaling... like holy shit. Went East at first and played a bunch, then when I decided to go West, the first gym I encountered was fucking pathetic

(In the same boat with 2 gym badges, 1 boss and 1 titan so far. Getting sidetracked a lot and taking my time in the world of Paldea)

- Needs Arceus-style catching (I would agree with you here because the way they went half-ass with subpar aiming, the reason it is not here because, this game should be played leisurely. Not like Arceus where you can catch the same or different species for slowly filling out notes for Pokemon. It would be nice if it was there as option but imo not necessary)

- Needs Arceus-style non-trainer battling - Multiple enemies in Wild, Agile/Strong style, swapping Pokemon on map and in battle (This one is so simple why this isn't in Gen 9. Arceus had no multiplayer or trading. Meaning if ppl wanted to battle competitively, that is why those styles were put in. You can't put that in a game where your opponent could attack twice and you don't know when. Your screwing with the balance with other online players, well more so for competitive players, I am not one of them)

- Needs Arceus crafting

- Why the fuck when I open my map does it not show what direction I'm looking?

- Faster dex scrolling

- Custom map markers, I come across stuff I want to revisit (may the map gets updated and I'm not there yet?)

- Took me an embarrassing amount of time to get Auto-Battle working... I was pressing the wrong button...

- Holy shit the size of the dex!

- Remembering moves is great, buuuut again, Arceus did it better

- Was hoping for a few Arceus-style sidequests....

- The world is massive, I get sidetracked all the time just exploring

- Love a lot of the new mons and region variants, trying to keep a new team without using previous appearances, made one exception

Yeah, the bold is all I really wanted to comment on. Everything else I pretty much agree with.

-------------

@The Albraskan: Whoa, my dude? Did you just went to your area to complete a task and move on to the next till game was done? It seems you didn't do much exploration, am I wrong here? Well as long as you had fun, that is what matters the most.

12 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, the bold is all I really wanted to comment on. Everything else I pretty much agree with.

-------------

@The Albraskan: Whoa, my dude? Did you just went to your area to complete a task and move on to the next till game was done? It seems you didn't do much exploration, am I wrong here? Well as long as you had fun, that is what matters the most.

Re: Battling - That's why I put "non-Trainer battling" would be helpful against Titans and wild Pokemon.

The serious technical analysis of Pokemon S/V from Digital Foundry.

The insight of GF and wanting to stay in their little roots, despite their ambitions and their overseers are asking for more.

You know most know GF and their humble staff with ambitious vision when it comes to their latest outing of mainline Pokemon titles.

But the video above really paints a more thorough picture this really is juxtaposition with their goals and remaining small for tighter ideas and no miscommunications with their creativity.

I don't know how long GF can go on like this. I really feel and I hope despite Pokemon S/V technical short comings that all that is good gameplay wise stays the course of their evolution along with either finding more help somehow or allowing more time for QA and testers to iron out any technical shortcomings.

This is not acceptable outside TPC have the money to do better but there's so much to dissect from there. I'll just leave these two videos here.

14 hours ago, Art_de_Cat said:

You forgot professors but anyway....   got 2nd badge last night and hoping gyms will get better but doesnt sound like it.  Probably tackle starting the other two paths tonight after doing some exploring.

I lumped them in with "teachers"

If anyone cares..... Pokemon S/V sells 10 million copies in 3 days since its release, worldwide.

Not only is this the most sold game for the Pokemon franchise in that timeframe but also for Nintendo and the Switch itself.

Welp, we needed this like a kick to the teeth. What's gonna happen now?

I was doing some Tera Raid battles last night....

Since I made some progress in my game, I can do 3 star battles...

3 star battles are not harder or much harder than 2 star battle but man do those Pokemon have some sponge HP. In one raid battle I had one of the legendary Pokemon fight along side me and it was hitting the Tera Pokemon with its signature move (you know a Pokemon most strongest move) and it took two hits to take it out. Before in the 2 star it took only one hit to take it out.

I'm starting to wonder if 3 and later up 7 stars will only difficult how spongy these Tera Pokemon HP will be. I assume they have shields up at later star levels too. Man, that's sort a gonna be a hassle add to that, that because all attacks go out at once. I'm not sure if its the connection but there's sometimes a delay between what hit and what doesn't with the HP going down and even when all gone there's delay to like catch up to everyone else in the raid, the HP is depleted. This just sounds problematic in later star levels as I mentioned with HP sponge.

Other than the above issues, like this game in general with he bad, the good is I am having a lot of fun.

Edited by DLurkster