Do we really *need* Sinnoh remakes?

With the launch of gen 7, a common fan-speculation has been a remake of gen 4. But looking at the big picture, is a gen 4 remake really necessary?

First of all, there's the simple matter that all current 3DS systems are backward-compatible with DS games, and that Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum (plus HGSS because why not) are still relatively easy to find at used game stores. There is no hardware limitation preventing any newcomer who started with S&M from going back and experiencing gen 4, other than having to jump through gen 5 if they want to transfer to Bank, which could easily be fixed with an update to Transporter.

Secondly, there's the fact that we wouldn't be getting a Platinum remake; we'd be getting Dildo Diamond and Penis Pearl. While ORAS did add some new features to Ruby and Sapphire, they came at the expense of removing the expanded storyline from Emerald. Would it be worth sacrificing the unique elements from Platinum, like the Distortion World, Looker, and the upgraded regional Pokedex?

Finally, Sinnoh itself has aged just fine from a gameplay perspective. Of all the core gameplay mechanics introduced in the games that came after it, only the Fairy type, Mega-Evolutions, and Z-moves are missing.

But regardless of whether Sinnoh remakes are necessary, I'm expecting that we'll eventually get them anyway because lolgamefreak.

i really don't think they're going to work on a 4th gen remake simply because the games are still available due to handheld compatibility. but even then, commercially sun and moon did just as well stateside in their first two weeks as diamond and pearl did within the first two months, and i think that's something that gamefreak is going to keep in mind moving forward.

though i'll be honest, if they're going to do remakes i still think diamond and pearl is low on their list.  i'd like to see them actually establish orre as a valid in-game region but i doubt that's gonna happen so whatever. y; 

Anything between RSE and XY is a massive blur to me. I know something is really underwhelming when I put around 100 hours into a game and can't remember jack about it. I don't think we're in dire need of a remake any time soon, but maybe in the short future to fill in the "I'm desperate for a Pokemon game" gap.

Suffice to say it's one I wouldn't be particularly hyped for.

11 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Nintendo releases lazy port after lazy port.  Why's it a bad thing when Pokemon re-releases their decade old games? (which are the best re-releases out there, major upgrades and features other than just updated graphics) 

I'd love to visit Sinnoh again :) 

There's a difference between a lazy port, and actively removing features.

In the transition from Emerald to ORAS, we lost:

*The extended storyline where you fight both Team Aqua and Magma.

*The Mirage Tower and Desert Underpass, which allowed you to get both fossils instead of just one.

*The post-game fight against Steven, who served as the "true" final boss a la Red.

*The Battle Frontier.

*Three entire puzzles in the Trick House.

41 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

There's a difference between a lazy port, and actively removing features.

In the transition from Emerald to ORAS, we lost:

*The extended storyline where you fight both Team Aqua and Magma.

*The Mirage Tower and Desert Underpass, which allowed you to get both fossils instead of just one.

*The post-game fight against Steven, who served as the "true" final boss a la Red.

*The Battle Frontier.

*Three entire puzzles in the Trick House.

Agreed. But they've removed more than their share of them over the years.

Remakes would make it easier for trading over exclusive legendaries not available though I want G/S/C on 3DS VC already since unless I want to play an emulator I would have to keep my SP plugged in while playing the Gen 2 cartridges I still have(the fan made Pokémon Prism is great, really cool being able to customize your sprite).