Tales of Symphonia Remastered releases 2.17.23

DLurkster

When I saw this appear on the screen, I hyperventilated, screamed like a true fangirl, breathed heavily like a girl in lust.

I just couldn't come to terms in what I was seeing.

This game is coming to PS4 and XBO along with Switch. I played this 2-3 times. This is a game that requires time to put in so it can only be played so much. Looking forward to the 2nd tales game coming to Switch.

Edited by DLurkster
7 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

The last time this was re-released was on PS3, but the original Gamecube version I had already played religiously enough. These other platform options are definitely nice though, and will take my time deciding what newer platform I'll eventually get it on.

Yes, I have that one.

I believe that is the one that had the sequel game packed in and in first game they gave you costumes from Xillia 2 for the cast there to wear.

Yeah, the PS3 version came with Dawn of the New World, as well as a few extras in the first game that were later brought over to the Steam version.

You know what'd be really funny? If they tried to add voice acting to the skits for this remake. educate; Half the voice cast from the Gamecube version have moved on to such bigger projects  (i.e. Teen Titans) that it's basically impossible to get a hold of them anymore. The change of voices was already jarring enough in DotNW, which at least had the in-story justification of a two-year time-skip for Lloyd's balls to drop. Can you imagine how awkward it would be to swap voice actors mid-cutscene?

Speaking of VO changes in the Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition that came out on Switch a few years. That brought over the PS3 content of that game from Japan to the west for the first time. The main character Yuri originally voiced by Troy Baker, the additional scenes that extra content were voiced by someone else. At least this guy (forgot his name) tried sound like Troy Baker. It took a YT vid to compare the 2 are different subtly.

As Troy Baker is a in demand VA so I am not surprised they had someone else but honestly I would of knew if I didn't looked up back then.

I don't expect VO for skits for TOS, even outside the reason above.

I'd still be down for it but it would have been nice to see the game as a remake in a modern Tales Of engine.  I loved Symphonia and played it to death.  Played through it with Krazy the first time around, then beat it again on New Game+ content and then played through it again sometime later.

• DLurkster changed the title to Tales of Symphonia Remastered coming 2023

A from the ground up remake would have been pretty cool as a 20th anniversary type of deal next year for it.  Though not entirely the same situation, one thing I really liked about Square Enix bringing back Trials of Mana is that they released an officially translated iteration of the SNES game and still went forward with a complete remake later on for current platforms. 

I admit Symphonia could use an actual remake, as it hasn’t aged the best, but fully remaking their own stuff just doesn’t seem to be Namco’s MO like it is with Capcom, and after Resident Evil 3, am still wary of remakes in general. The Symphonia port is only $40 at least, so not a TLoU1 “remake” type fiasco with $70, nor as expensive as the Skyward Sword HD port or something. Still, can see why old fans would be lukewarm with a minimalist port, though am happy for newer Tales fans like one person I know that’ll finally get to experience Symphonia.

I'm sure I've said this before of remakes of recent years and to me I see the concerns what ppl say of them of late but that comes down to the effort put forth and the direction said game wants go in. So the way I see remakes depends on those factors before I say all are not good in my eyes. To me remakes nowadays are hit or miss. 50/50 to be fair not to be given the benefit of the doubt but being objectively here.

With a remake of TOS would be cool but is not a real expectation of this classic tales title. Of course it is not fair outside of production of game visual is probably not a issue it is the talented VA that grace this game, most are really famous as discussed here. That is the unrealistic expectation of this game being remade to me and I don't want to put that on myself on game I look highly upon. My bias or not, I am fine any form this game come as so tho unfortunate about the FPS and this time around a port. If a remaster is all we can get I fine with that of course I would like more effort with the performance but I am not being a beggar being chooser here. I'll take what I can get.

• Chrom featured this topic
21 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Well, my dream is to one day at least see Symphonia remade, but if not that then I'd like to see Tales of Phantasia revived in a recent Tales engine.

You mad bro and I mean that in the nicest way as that is the very first Tales game on and the SNES no less. It would be nice to see a remake of that game, I've heard good things about it.

But explaining the mad part, what do mean by recent Tales engine? Do you mean the engine used for Tales of Arise from last year? Beautiful game btw but is it wrong that I would like HD-2D of Tales of Phantasia? I think that would be cooler but tho to us gamers not having the knowledge of developers, I've heard that HD-2D is more costly and timely than making a HD game so like TOS I'd take what I can get if we are to Tales of Phantasia remake game.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:04 PM, DLurkster said:

You mad bro and I mean that in the nicest way as that is the very first Tales game on and the SNES no less. It would be nice to see a remake of that game, I've heard good things about it.

But explaining the mad part, what do mean by recent Tales engine? Do you mean the engine used for Tales of Arise from last year? Beautiful game btw but is it wrong that I would like HD-2D of Tales of Phantasia? I think that would be cooler but tho to us gamers not having the knowledge of developers, I've heard that HD-2D is more costly and timely than making a HD game so like TOS I'd take what I can get if we are to Tales of Phantasia remake game.

I mean in a newer engine.  It doesn't necessarily have to be Arise, it could be the same engine they used for Xillia, Zestiria or Berseria for all I care.  Would just be cool to see that same world in a different perspective.  Though I haven't played the full version of it yet, I did like exploring the world of Trials of Mana in the way they presented it keeping in mind my memories of the SNES game.

Now, I wasn't even thinking of HD-2D, but now that you mention it I think I might even prefer that instead.  There are some really interesting locations in Phantasia that would be really cool to see in that art style.

I'd be excited either way!