Step 1: Let's Choose a Name!

Kodiack

Welcome to the new site, everyone! I openly admit that the transition will not be easy, but with your help this community will be able to enjoy a site that receives the love and attention that NSider2 otherwise so needed and deserved.

First thing's first: Choosing a name. The "NSider" branding has been around for well over a decade now, with NSider2 having comfortably outlived its predecessor. With a fresh new site, many community members feel that it's time for a fresh new name as well.

Use this topic to discuss potential names. Get creative! Once you've helped to develop an identity for the site, we'll get a domain name and look at making the site an attractive place to visit.

These are the names I came up with. They've already been shot down, but I'm just gonna put them here so maybe it'll help someone think of something else.

Player's Capriccio (Capriccio refers to lively, free form music. I feel this represents are community in a way that means "We are a lively bunch that go with the flow!")

Hero's Fantasia (Fantasia has a similar meaning to Capriccio, but refers more heavily on improvisation. I.E. "We are a community that just goes with the flow and make things up as we go along.")

Our Phantasia (Phantasia refers to how things are presented to us and how we perceive them, which I think is very relevant to video games as a whole.)

I really wanted to grab a domain, so I picked up "ninfora.com" - which is probably what you're visiting now. This isn't necessarily the finalised name of the site, but it was something that I felt was catchy and works as a shortened form of "Nintendo Forums".

I mainly wanted to get the domain name and DNS all sorted before heading off to sleep. Lots to do yet. Really appreciate all the feedback everyone has been providing! Makes it easy to prioritise what's most important to you guys.

10 minutes ago, LimeCatMaster said:

I know this might sound really dumb, but we should either stick with brevity or something extremely unique. With brevity, specifically, some of the most well known, memorable, and popular websites are only two syllables. I think something along those lines could work.

Brevity is nice. Having a catchy, two-syllable name would be cool.

Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to top "NSider2". For how few characters that is, it sure is a mouthful. :P

Let's call it Vergil. y;

I think we should decide on what we're going to be before we decide on a name.  Do we want to keep the Nintendo-centric theme?  If not, what do we unite around?  What about this site will make us unique in a way that attracts new visitors?

If it's not about Nintendo, it's going to be something more general, so either Gaming, or just being a forum for people who used to be NSider.

I don't think it's that big a deal to keep a minor focus on Nintendo because otherwise what's the point of an NSider2 successor? Why are we even still here? Nintendo, gaming, and people. If you had to choose between making it more Nintendo and more general gaming, why not just keep the minor link to Nintendo?

2 minutes ago, Stopdoor said:

If it's not about Nintendo, it's going to be something more general, so either Gaming, or just being a forum for people who used to be NSider.

I don't think it's that big a deal to keep a minor focus on Nintendo because otherwise what's the point of an NSider2 successor? Why are we even still here? Nintendo, gaming, and people. If you had to choose between making it more Nintendo and more general gaming, why not just keep the minor link to Nintendo?

Good point. Maybe something like 'The Gaming Hub'?

Yeah, the general consensus seems to be to aim for a broader scope than just Nintendo. One reason I went with "Ninfora" in the interim is because while the name has its roots in Nintendo, it otherwise doesn't have any actual meaning so far. It could be its own thing, if the community so desires.

I went with a name that's kinda nonsensical without context. Something that's easy to remember and rolls off the tongue. I took inspiration from other few-syllable site names, like "Phoronix" or "Apache".

I'm actually pretty fond of Ninfora and Ninforia, since they roll off the tongue really well but don't speak too obviously of Nintendo.

Ninpact is nice too.

I'll be honest with ya, I do not really have a penchant for naming things like this, so I don't think I'm going to have many suggestions, but I'm more than happy to drop my two cents in for other people's names. I definitely think we should be a one name forum, though, and only be two names if we can shorten it down.